Tuesday, December 5, 2023

A Small Town Christmas Parade

Hello everyone!

Happy Christmas to you!

Last evening, I made a quick supper of salmon patties and creamed peas. Then my Lowell and I headed downtown to enjoy the lighting of the mayor's Christmas tree and the annual Carthage Christmas Parade. Thousands of twinkly lights adorned the square, and lots of happy people turned out for this fun event.

We found a parking spot just off the square. It was perfect. We were able to stand by our car and watch the parade go by just feet away from us. We were even able to exchange Christmas greetings with many people in the parade as they passed by. 


So often, during the Maple Leaf Parade, we find ourselves sitting in a spot where the band marches by in between songs. Last night, they were playing Christmas tunes as they cheerfully marched by us.


I think my husband's favorite part was watching the old cars go by. There were some real beauties. 


My husband drove an old Nomad station wagon when we were first dating. It was nothing like this one! 


What Christmas parade is complete without a Santa? Unfortunately, we missed the one at the end of the parade... I'm not sure how. This one shall suffice. 


I think that this float was the cutest of all. I remember that my kids loved to sing Grandma Got Ran Over by a Reindeer to their Grandma Judy when they were little. She got so tickled, and they loved it. I took pics of the display, but they were blurry. ~sigh~ 


I don't even know what this one was supposed to be, but the sheer number of lights was dazzling. 



The best display was done by Carthage Water and Electric Plant. They had two electric poles mounted at opposite ends of the float. There were electricians hanging on the poles like they were fixing the electricity! If you look closely, you can see the poles at the back of the float.


It's always a bit of a challenge getting off the square after events.


 We took side streets and passed Sparkle in the Park. One of these evenings, we'll go walk through. I've heard it's a whole different experience when you're immersed in the lights. 


It's now Tuesday morning. I'm off work today, and I've dedicated this day to Kringling. That will include:

  • This blog post
  • Baking cookies
  • Christmas cross-stitch
  • Sewing
  • Hand quilting
  • Writing at least one Christmas card
  • A Christmas crafternoon with my Amy 
So, I'm off to heat up my drink and start those cookies. I'll make chocolate chip pecan this time. I was given a big bag of milk chocolate chips. I used some last week and was surprised at how delicious they are. 

Enjoy the day ladies!

Laura
Happy to Kringle






7 comments:

  1. What a fun holiday cheer filled evening!! Hope you are enjoying December!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jennifer, I am enjoying December so far. I'm keeping expectations low and doing a little something every day. I hope you have a fabulous month.
      Laura

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful parade. I think hometown parades are much better than the big televised ones. Thank you for sharing with us. I like how the Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer float was put on by the animal clinic! :-)
    You had a busier day than I did. I went to a crochet group this afternoon for a couple of hours. Stopped at Walmart afterwards to get the things I forgot yesterday. (It happens more and more often!)
    This afternoon I made chicken and noodles for dinner, but I used the leftover Thanksgiving turkey from the freezer. It was yummy. Otherwise I watched Christmas Youtube and knitted and diamond painted. A nice calm day. Tomorrow will be much busier.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although you weren't as busy, you did a lot. Hope your week ending is terrific.

      Delete
  3. ME ENCANTAN TUS TEJIDOS Y TUS PROYECTOS DE COSTURA, ESPERO QUE PRONTO LOS PUBLIQUES. RECUERDA QUE TODO EL AÑO DEBEMOS FESTEJAR A JESUS, EL ES LA RAZON DE NUESTRAS VIDAS, EL NACIO, MURIO Y RESUCITO DE ENTRE LOS MUERTOS, PARA DARNOS VIDA ETERNA, EL PERDON DE LOS PECADOS Y SER NUESTRO ABOGADO DELANTE DE DIOS. ME ENTRISTECE VER TANTOS CRISTIANOS FESTEJAR ALGO QUE NO ES BIBLICO, SE QUE NO COINCIDIRAS CONMIGO, PERO LAS ESCRITURAS LO AFIRMAN, NO HAY FECHA DE NACIMIENTO, NO HAY NINGUN VERSICULO QUE DIGA QUE DEBEMOS FESTEJAR SU CUMPLEAÑOS, SOLO SU MUERTE Y RESURRECCION QUE POR ESO VINO JESUS AL MUNDO, QUE A TRAVES DE SU MUERTE Y POR ESA RESURRECCION SOMOS SALVOS POR TODA LA ETERNIDAD. BENDICIONES A LA DISTANCIA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sirviendo. Some of this is cultural for us here in the U.S. I agree with much of what you say. Jesus is very precious to me every day. I understand your reasons, and I respect them. God bless you dear.
      Laura

      Delete
  4. Love salmon patties. Gonna go look at that park this year too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor