![]() |
| First project completed! Candy Corn Bag Project Bag |
Today, September 7, is my momma's birthday. She's been in Heaven for 27 years now. I still miss her very much. She taught me to sew when I was quite young. I learned by helping her. She used to make clothes for me and for herself. She also sewed many things for the home. She didn't even need a pattern for lots of things. I didn't inherit that from her. I did inherit a deep enjoyment of sewing. So much so, that I used the money I received for high school graduation to buy a Kenmore sewing machine that I used for many years. I couldn't imagine moving out of my mom's house and not having a sewing machine!
That old machine finally gave out after many years. I've replaced it twice since then. My current machine, a Singer One, has served me since 2012. I actually thought it was newer than that. I looked back and found the blog post sharing the purchase.
While sewing the candy corn bag this weekend, I spent most of the "sewing" time fighting with the machine. I took it to the repairman last winter due to issues with the tension. It wasn't much better when I got it back. I haven't sewn since I started working full-time at the clinic back in February. Now I remember why. It's just so frustrating!
What? The one activity that has always felt like I was born to do it—frustrating? How can that be? I'll tell you.
Sewing is frustrating when your machine skips stitches, has poor tension that cannot be fixed no matter what videos, the manual and even Chat GPT tell me. The computer part seems to be messed up, too. The last time I tried to use it, the zigzag wouldn't work. Now, I have to put the needle all the way to the right to be near the center.
So, here I am at the beginning of Sewing Through September with a malfunctioning machine. I'm just not sure what I'm going to do.
I know that I need to replace it. I need something that is going to last. I need something that I'm not going to need to replace. What that is going to be or what it's going to cost, I don't know. I want something with metal parts that can stitch straight and do zigzag. I don't need anything fancy just functional.
I finished the first project, my candy corn bag today. I'm not sure what I'm going to do tomorrow since the machine is on the blink.
Any suggestions for a good machine that's going to last me many years?
Any suggestions for a sewing project that doesn't need a machine?
Help wanted.
~smile~
Be blessed,
Laura
Still determined to sew through September!
Related posts:
Sewing Challenge Month at Harvest Lane Cottage
Thrifty Things Lately at Harvest Lane Cottage #151





HOLA LAURA: SE COMO TE SIENTES, YA ME HA PASADO AÑOS ANTERIORES, TUVE 2 MAQUINAS ELECTRICAS Y SIEMPRE TENIAN UN PROBLEMA,LA ARREGLABA Y APARECIAN OTROS. ESTUVE SIN MAQUINA ALGUN TIEMPO LARGO HASTA QUE FALLECIO LA TIA DE MI ESPOSO,TENIA 82 AÑOS Y TENIA UNA MAQUINA DE COSER A PEDAL Y UNA MAQUINA DE TEJER KNITAS, Y QUE CREES? SU UNICA HIJA ME REGALO AMBAS, YA QUE ELLA NO SABE NI COSER UN BOTON JAJA. ESTOY TAN FELIZ CON LA MAQUINA A PEDAL,NO HAY PROBLEMA SI SE CORTA EL SUMINISTRO ELECTRICO, FUNCIONA MUY BIEN,SOLO COSE RECTA Y HACIA ATRAS, LA USO A DIARIO Y NO PIENSO CAMBIARLA POR NADA DEL MUNDO,ES MUY ANTIGUA ,LA MARCA ES NECCHI, EN CUANTO A LA MAQUINA DE TEJER NO SE USARLA,ES MUY COMPLICADA PARA MI. UN CONSEJO: SI PUEDES, COMPRATE UNA MAQUINA A PEDAL. BENDICIONES¡¡¡¡¡¡
ReplyDeleteI have my husband's grandma's pedal machine. I have never learned to use it. I don't know. Maybe it's time to learn.
DeleteYou might check Facebook Marketplace. Often people have machines they aren't using for good prices.
ReplyDeleteThat's a good idea, Vickie. I hate that this machine isn't working for me. I really liked it while it did.
DeleteFind an old Singer featherweight, you will never have these problems. They are out there, pricey at times but well worth it. Also try using a better grade of thread in your machine. Aurofil is a good, but expensive, brand but well worth it.
ReplyDeleteThe Featherweight has come up in some videos that I've seen. Thank you for the suggestion. I changed to Gutterman thread. Prior to that it was Coats & Clark. I don't have anywhere around here that sells Aurofil that I'm aware of. Good thread does make a difference.
DeleteSince I know nothing about sewing, I really can't make suggestions in this case, Laura. Perhaps you could check out reviews of sewing machines online? That's the best I can offer. Blessings!
ReplyDeleteThank you Martha Jane. I'm doing that. ~smile~
DeleteI remember borrowing sewing machines when I was newly married as we could not afford one.
ReplyDeleteAnd look how much you sew now! God made a way!
DeleteCute!
ReplyDeleteThank you. Candy corn is my favorite fall candy.
DeleteWhat a fun bag!
ReplyDeleteI'd suggest looking for a used/vintage machine. I have a pretty basic singer from the 1960s or 70s, which I got from my family. It sews great both straight and zig zag :) I had it repaired once (since the 1990s). I had started looking at new, fancy machines when the repairman fixed it very inexpensively and did a "tune up." He said all its parts are metal so he can fix it forever versus new machines with plastic innards, where one snaps and he can't fix the machine at all.
Oh I wish I had my mom's old machine. I don't remember having troubles like this. I'm going to keep my eyes open.
DeleteI don't sew much anymore but like you, I learned young, and do enjoy it. I have had machine issues also. A lot of people like Juki machines, but I know they are pricey. Hopefully you can find something reasonable that you can enjoy!
ReplyDeleteLove your bag . . . my neighbors favorite candy is candy corn, I might have to copy your idea and gift her a bag full :)
ReplyDeleteI do not have the large budget that many women have when purchasing a sewing machine, but I have been very happy with Brother brand machines and you can find very basic to very fancy machines in just about anything budget you're looking for. I'm sorry to hear that your's is giving you problems.
Oh my goodness, Connie! I was just looking at the Janome website. They have a machine that is $20,000!!! Of course, they also have a machine that is $199. I'm not sure where I'll land, but you could buy a pretty nice car for $20,000! I'm too thrifty for that!!! Thank you for your advice.
DeleteHello Laura, I suggest an older but maybe lightly used machine that has old style metal parts instead of the new plastic and electronic ones.
ReplyDeleteI bought an older Babylock Natalie machine on Ebay. I could tell it had not been used much and it has served me really well.
older singers were very reliable and simple to use too.
It’s nice to see posts from you and I hope you are successful finding a better sewing machine.