Thursday, December 9, 2010

A Homemade Handmade Heartmade Christmas

This is a homemade, handmade, heartmade Christmas at Harvest Lane Cottage. Momma’s making Christmas from scratch as much as possible. I made a quick little gift for my daughters. It’s a little crocheted cotton drawstring bag that’s just big enough to hold a bar of soap.


Using a size I crochet hook and cotton yarn, I chained 25 and turned. Single crochet across and repeat rows until it is long enough to hold your favorite bar of soap. You can add a little frilly touch by chaining 3 and then slipstitching in each single crochet across the top. I then folded it in half lengthwise and slipstitched around the edges to make a little bag. You could sew it together with yarn instead if you prefer.


Next, I used a complementary color to make the drawstring. I just chained about 75 or 80. Just make it long enough to weave in and out through your stitches in a drawstring style. Tie the ends together, and you’ll have a nice little bag for your soap. Use it to wash with in the shower or tub. It’s also great to gather up the soap slivers. Just be sure to rinse it in hot water and hang it to dry. You can even the soap in it. You can remove the soap and toss the bag in your washer and dryer once in awhile, too.


My best advice is to look at what you have and think creatively. Do what you can with what you’ve got where you are! Make your focus time spent with your family. Explain to the kids how things are. Kids are remarkable. They can be happy with the smallest of gifts if they really know they have your heart and your attention.


May the God of Hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him.


Laura
Happy at Home
~~~~~
May I suggest?
~~~~~

Shared:
Raising Homemakers

3 comments:

  1. The best gifts come from the heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura!

    I love the idea of a, homemade, handmade, heartmade, Christmas! Soap bags are a great idea, thanks for the instructions.

    I have been crocheting hats for my grands, they always love them especially my little girls. I like to embellish them with cute little crocheted flowers.

    I think it would be so wonderful if everyone could embraced a handmade Christmas!

    Hugs,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura,
    I saw you on Knitting off the Grid and had to come check you out because you are from S.W. MO. I was born in St. Louis and lived there a year and in 1968 I lived in Poplar Bluff for a bout 6 months. The rest of my life has been spent in So. California. My folks lived in Doniphan for many years. So I always feel a kindredness to those from Mo.

    Anyway I really like the idea of making a small bag to put the soap slivers in. What a great idea and I probably will try that. Thanks and Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor