Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A Stitch in Time Saves Nine



Unending mending piles.   Why oh why do we let them pile up?  Often, our little mending projects pile up simply because we procrastinate.   Instead of stitching up a tiny hole or tear, we wait until we have a full sized rip.  We go without a favorite blouse, pair of jeans, or dress, sometimes for months, because of a lost or loose button.  We don't actually need hours for mending.  Most mending is rather simple.  Most projects take only a few minutes if we catch the problem while it's small. 

If you have an unending mending pile, first go through and see if anything just needs to be thrown away.  You might be surprised to find your pile a bit less daunting!

Next, make two piles.   One pile is handwork.  This would include buttons, small seams or rips, loose hems, anything you can do with a needle, thread, and a little time.  The other pile is for machine work.  This might include patching jeans or mending larger seams.

Now, gather a needle, some thread, and whatever mending supplies you might need together in a box or basket.  Put it someplace handy.  When you notice a missing button, it's easier to replace it right away if your supplies are handy.  If you'd rather sit down and work on a pile of mending, put it all in a basket.  The key is to mend regularly.  Don't let the basket get full. 

Let's take care of the little things before they become big things...good advice for mending...good advice for life.
~~~~~
May I suggest?

14 comments:

  1. Yeah...I've turned into one of "them" (a procrastinator) LOL! Mine is with finishing projects though. I'm really good at starting them...just not getting them completed! It's such a thrill when I do :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS...I totally agree with your last statement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by and offering your encouraging words. I have managed to get some of my mending done this week, but there is still lots more to work on. Just have to keep going one piece at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great advice! We all have things we put off too long! Thanks for linking up to TTF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so right, Linda.

    Here's to a year of getting things done.

    Blessings,

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this patch/mend! Simple, practical, and crafty! Pinning

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle,

    I'm honored. Thanks!

    Pinterest is so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good advice indeed! My oldest daughter, who turned 40 on Christmas sends all her mending my way. Even to sew on a button. I often think, "Isn't this the child that took sewing lessons?" lol! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jann,

    That's funny. Obviously momma still wants to take care of her little girl a bit. ~smile~

    May God bless you and your daughter!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2014/01/anniversary-giveaway-week-2-the-homeacre-hop-55.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lol! I'm the queen of procrastination when it comes to mending. ;-) Thanks for sharing on The HomeAcre Hop! I can't wait to see what you share today!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lisa Lynn,

    My mending basket is filling again. These snowy days are perfect for sewing.

    I'll be over and see you at Farm Chit Chat in just a bit.

    Blessings to you,

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  13. You must be talking about me :-). I just went through my mending and got rid of the stuff that didn't fit any more, then I put buttons where they were needed and low and behold only a little bit left now for machine work. Thanks for the encouragement to keep on top of things, now for my ironing. Thanks for sharing at Good Morning Mondays. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is good advice for life. I need to catch up on a few mending projects myself. Thanks for the inspiration to get going :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor