Friday, March 2, 2012

B is for Bible Reading

"Bible reading is an education in itself."
  ~Lord Tennyson

Bible reading. 
There are definitely two camps-
those who read their Bible daily
and
those who feel guilty because they don't.

I am using Professor Horner's Bible Reading System right now.  I have found that it is a real time commitment.  The plan calls for reading ten chapters a day from ten different books of the Bible.  I was introduced to the plan by my friend, Deb.  At times, I've gotten behind.  Using the checklists on YouVersion, it's easy to see where I should be and read a little extra each day until I catch up.  If I'm doing it religiously, pun intended, it takes me just under an hour a day.  I snatch a few minutes here and there throughout the day to read. 

My younger children 10, 12, and 14 are required to read thirty minutes a day.  This is either by the reading plan from church or the chapters of their choice.  They will sometimes use a devotional or Bible study book as part of this time.

My advice is to fit it in any way you can.  Maybe you find it difficult to read at one time of day and easier at another.  Take advantage of your natural rhythms.  God gave them to you.  Ask the Holy Spirit to teach you and to make the scriptures alive for you.  He will.
A last piece of advice- just get started!


~ A clarification ~
I read ten chapters total per day. 

Today's reading:
Luke 17
Exodus 11
Philipians 4
Revelation 18
Song of Solomon 7
Proverbs 30
1 Samuel 12
Acts 5

Linking with:




Blog Button Final

3 comments:

  1. 10 chapters a day from 10 different books!

    At first I thought you meant 10 chapters from each book. But it's 10 chapters total, right? Still impressive.

    Ben and are both using Kay Arthur's "How to Study Your Bible". He uses the "kids" version.

    We are both learning so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, I got a mention in your blog. ;) I am so honored.....have a blessed day, Laura!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor