Saturday, June 29, 2013

A Thrifty Week #10 w/Recipes

Hello Ladies,

I hope you don't mind my skipping last week.  I thought you might enjoy my Forty Ways to Use it Up, Wear it Out, Make it Do, or Do Without.  These are some of the ways that helped me cope when my husband went through a long period of unemployment and underemployment.

Here's my frugal week:

~About noon on Monday, we found that our garage freezer had been unplugged over the weekend.  Someone unplugged it to plug in something else.  Actually, it seems that No One did it.  Have you ever had troubles with No One at your house?  Unfortunately, that meant that I had some thawed meat Monday.  Fortunately, we found out before everything thawed. I know it may not be right; but, I just had my child plug it back in.  Most of the meat had just begun to thaw. I had 10 lbs of chicken breast thawed.


~I cooked 5 lbs in the Crock Pot yesterday.  I made two meals with it.

Chicken Gravy over Biscuits
Prepare gravy using the broth from cooking the chicken in the Crock Pot. 
Add chunks of chicken when the gravy is thickened and heat through.
Serve over biscuits.

Pineapple Chicken

 I mixed a medium sized can of crushed pineapple and about a cup of brown sugar together.  I poured it over 2 lbs of cooked chicken.  I mixed it up, and put it in my indoor freezer for Pineapple Chicken next week.  I'll serve it with rice.


~ I planned my meals around meats and other items we had on hand.  I did buy produce, milk, and items to round out the meals and snacks.

~ A friend found blackberries on the church property.  The kids picked a bunch for me Tuesday.  On Wednesday afternoon, Michael and I made blackberry juice.  Thursday morning, I made 4 half pints and 2 half cups of jelly.  It was a whole lot of work for just a little bit of deep red deliciousness!  One half pint will be opened this week.  One jar will go to Pastor Dan and Cindy.  It was frugal because I already had sugar, pectin, jars, rings and lids on hand.  Unfortunately, it wasn't completely thrifty because I had to buy hydrocortisone for all the kids' itches and bites afterward. :(

~ I found a beautiful teacup and saucer at a rummage sale that I will give to my mother-in-love on her birthday.

~ I repaired one skirt for my daughter that she bought at a rummage sale.

~ I altered one skirt for my daughter that a friend gave her as a hand-me-down.

~ I made No Grate laundry soap with this recipe I found on Pinterest.

Well, I have to get back to cleaning.  Have a terrific week!

Laura
Happy at Home
~~~~~
May I suggest?
~~~~~ 

15 comments:

  1. Laura you are an amazing lady, a true Christian in every sense of the word. I find your posts uplifting and inspiring, whenever I read your work you always leave me feeling better about this world. Thank you and God bless you and your lovely family.
    Lots of love
    Dorothy
    :-)xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your meals sound delicious! Yum! I am thinking I have those same kind of people at my house too! No one ever knows anything and I live with college educated adults and two still attending college! LOL! Always fun to stop by and visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Anne,
    Sometimes make do recipes are really good. I forgot to add that on Wednesday evening, our electricity went out for 4 hours. Suppose that saved on our electric bill? ~smile~
    Thanks for dropping by. It's late, but I'll come and visit your blog sometime soon.
    God bless you,
    Laura Lane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah Dorothy, I struggle like the next woman. This week I've actually felt rather down. It's felt like a Job week. Right down to the livestock dying. We lost 12 of our 14 six week old chicks this week to the heat.

    I'm feeling much better after prayer and worship. I can get cranky. Thank you for your encouragement, though. Like Paul, that which I want to do, I don't do. That which I don't want to do, I do. Thank God for the grace of Jesus Christ, his atonement for our sins, and his mercy.

    Blessings to you blog friend,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both of those recipes sound delicious! I love it when I can make more than one meal at a time! Oh, and I, too, make homemade laundry soap (with my own handmade lye soap). The more I use regular lye soap, the more we love it! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    Thank you for linking to Tuesdays with a Twist!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura are sure a busy LAdy! I love your photo of the new tea cup & saucer. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just bought the cup and saucer for my mother-in-love for her birthday.
    Thanks for talking back, Victorian 1885.
    God bless you!

    Laura
    Lane

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marci,
    I haven't made lye soap yet this year. I really need to do so. Have a great weekend.




    Laura
    Lane

    My blog, Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, that no body leaves dirty dishes laying around all the time, and I think they are the one that steals one sock.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laura, you are a busy bee! Smart move to prepare dinners from the chicken before it was too late. Your MIL will love that teacup! Thank you for sharing and stopping by my HOME. Have a wonderful week!

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  12. You just made me smile big. Nobody is a trouble maker. ~smile~

    Blessings to you from Harvest Lane Cottage,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sandi,

    Your blog is so beautiful. I'll bet your home is lovely, too. I enjoy your posts.




    Laura
    Lane

    ReplyDelete
  14. Try dyeing fabric with blackberries.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You can turn baking soda into washing soda by heating it in the oven at 400 degrees for about half an hour. Occasionally stir it, and it will be a finer powder than baking soda.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor