Sunday, December 21, 2014

A Thrifty Week at Harvest Lane Cottage #31

Amy Lane Photography c 2014
It's been a whirlwind of activity around here lately.  In addition to Kringling, we've been decorating a bit more, making cake balls for the first time (yum), and getting the restaurant ready to close for the season.  Here's my thrifty week:

~ Mended my daughter's black pants.

~ Let out elastic in my daughter's dance pants
.
~ I searched until I found a very good quality item I needed for Christmas for a good price.  Wish I could share, but someone reads my blog. ~wink~

~ I found a brand new something that another someone is going to love for $4.99 at the thrift store with $29.99 tag still on it!  Woo hoo! Right size.  Right color.  Right on!

~ I purchased some stocking stuffers at the dollar store.

~ I ate at home one night while I was alone instead of going out for fast food.

~ I received a new Bible for review.  I'm looking for one with space to write notes during church.

~ My daughter, Emily, made cake balls with a cake mix she received as a gift and things we had on hand.
~ I made a thrifty lunch of potato soup.

~ Altogether, I think I've spent around $125 - $150 for gifts this year for our family of six.  It was nearly all tip money, change, and a few odd dollars here and there that I have squirreled away since October.   God has blessed me with good sales and a family that doesn't mind second hand.Thank you God.

~ I'll be giving dishcloths as gifts to some friends.  I wrapped them all up yesterday with raffia that I had on hand.  I purchased it at a garage sale last summer for next to nothing.

I'm almost done with my shopping.  I've got a couple more items and some gift wrap to buy.  I tend to underestimate how much I'll need each year.  Last night my husband told me that he's going to buy some small gifts for the kids, too. Yay!

Well, it's time to get ready for church.  My daughters, Emily and Amy, are performing in a Christmas dance today.

Enjoy the moments!
Blessings,
Laura
~~~~~
May I suggest?
~~~~~





13 comments:

  1. You have been busy dear Laura! I pray your family has a blessed Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, it sounds like you have been busy in a great way. I love thrift stores, so glad you found such a great item at a great price. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do what I can, Michelle and Linda. Have a great Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you ARE the thrifty one...good for you! You know, this reminds me of how I grew up...gifts that were either hand made or not expensive...but was something very special. I wish my grandkids could appreciate this type of gifting...it makes me sad for them. You have the right idea, Laura. I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Debby. It's come of necessity for us. Even in the olden days, when my husband had a good paying job, I tried to keep expectations down. I want to bless them, but reality is that money doesn't grown on trees. Perhaps your family can discuss gift giving expectations for next year.
    God bless you!
    Happy Christmas!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wrote a post this week about how much people spend at Christmas, you are certainly bucking the trend!!

    Have a lovely Christmas with your family .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura, This is my first visit to your blog, and I am so enjoying my visit. I can see that we share some common interests, and there is so much goodness on your site. I am always happy to have friends who help me to become a more faithful follower of Jesus. Love your light-filled photo and the many wonderful ways you save money and enjoy the simple pleasures of life. I'll look forward to visiting again soon! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome Donna!
    I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit. I look forward to visiting you soon as well. I hope you have a blessed Christmas!
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw that post, Jo. You're right! I was sickened by the numbers that you shared. It seems impossible to me.
    Blessings for a happy new year!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you had a great week at the thrift shops! I really can't say the last time I bought something at a mall (don't know the last time I was at one)... Too many deals and goodies to be had there. Thank you for your visit :) Seems like you changed up your blog background. Very cute! :)

    Hope your family is staying nice and warm this winter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful, congratulations on all you have done with so little expense. Thanks for sharing at Good Morning Mondays. Blessings to you this Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes we're warm. The kids are still hoping for snow. I looked for an item at the mall last week. I went to three stores an felt my anxiety level sore from all the excess everything. I later found what I needed at the farm and home store.

    Blessings to you Jes. I look forward to getting to know you better. We seem to have lots in common.

    Happy new year.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor