Thursday, April 1, 2021

Simple Little Reminders of Grandma Bern

Grandma Bernadine Conklin, Laura, Matthew, and Dad
Four Generations
Happy Birthday in Heaven Grandma!

~ April 1st, her birthday
~ Thanksgiving
~ Miracle on 34th Street
~ big vegetable gardens
~ shelves of home canned foods
~ large pearl tapioca pudding
~ eggs fried in bacon grease
~ the smell of coffee and bacon in the morning
~ Christmas cookies
~ The Catholic Church
~ Pepsi in glass bottles
~ date pinwheel cookies
~ stacks of magazines
~ old metal swing sets
~ old Christmas carols
~ Bing Crosby Christmas songs
~ chickens
~ handprints in concrete sidewalks
~ cool, dark cellars
~ open stairs
~ cellar stairs under the kitchen floor
~ wringer washers
~ bowling score pads
~ waxed cardboard milk boxes
~ milk bottles and home milk delivery
~ braided plastic bread bag rugs
~ wooden screen doors
~ open cellar stairs
~ old-fashioned claw foot tubs
~ apple butter
~ cut-out sugar cookies in an ice cream bucket
~ hand cranked homemade ice cream
~ old black dial telephones
~ pump organs
~ crocheted doilies
~ big chest freezers
~ vintage brown stoneware dishes, I think they were Hull.
~ big Texas Ware bowls
~ black and white photos
~ cotton house dresses
~ long drives at night
~ raisin bread pudding
~ green ceramic Christmas trees with lights

Missing Grandma,
Laura


10 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your treasure trove of special memories of and with your Grandma.What a blessing. Love to you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Connie. She's been gone a long time. I miss her.

      Delete
  2. It's beautiful to have these memories and keep them alive, Laura.

    Happy Birthday, Grandma Bern!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank Yo for sharing your memories. HAPPY HEAVENLY BIRTHDAY GRANDMA
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwwww Laura, what a sweet tribute to your grandmother. I miss my grandmother too, and am excited to see her again in Heaven. So many similar memories- simple things, but loving traditions that remain in our hearts. I have only a couple years on you, and it sure brought a smile to my face remembering all the wonderful, simple, joys we were blessed to experience and enjoy as children! Thank you for sharing. A happy birthday to Grandma Bern and a gentle hug to you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda,
      It's so good to hear from you. I'll be by to see your blog in just a bit. I'm so glad you found about the new book. I've already put the next Penderwicks book on my to read list for next season. Enjoy your fall!
      Be blessed,
      Laura

      Delete
  5. My own grandmother passed in 1985. I think about her every day and still cry that she is gone. She was an extremely important person to me in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. I think of all that I wish I'd done with her, for her, and learned from her. I miss both my grandmas and my momma.
      Hugs to you!
      Laura

      Delete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor