Thursday, November 5, 2020

Thrifty Things Lately at Harvest Lane Cottage #156

 



I am a very blessed woman. Sometimes I don't realize it until I write it down here. So I plan to start doing that again. I hope that my lists help you to recognize your blessings and inspire you to do thrifty things and to be a blessing to others.

  • Received two books for review 
  • Received a pretty ball of sock yarn from my friend, thanks Laura!
  • Stayed home a couple of days when I wanted to go out (no money spent)
  • Kept thermostat turned low
  • Still driving our 1989 Grand Marquis after a repair
  • We paid off our 2002 Buick LeSabre (This is our best car.) 
  • My husband fixed the Buick himself
  • My husband purchased a life insurance policy 
  • Took leftovers to work for lunch a few times
  • Bought a hoodie and a polo shirt for $2 a piece at thrift store (both like new)
  • Reused a gift bag and bow and used a couple sheets of tissue paper from a 50 cent pack from the thrift store
  • Bought Dollar Tree foundation. It's working fine.
  • Using up liptick samples from Mary Kay.
  • I found little mismatched plates at a garage sale to go with my white bowls for ten cents each. I love little china and stoneware saucers.
  • My husband bought 30 glass vases for $6 to give to a florist friend. 
  • A friend gave me seven little plates to go with soup. Thanks Michelle!
  • A friend bought my drink at the coffee shop. Thanks Beth!
  • Currently knitting a hat with a soft golden skein of yarn my friend gave me. Thanks Virginia!
  • I knit a pair of socks with yarn a friend gave me, printed a lable for free, and sent them to my sister-in-love for her birthday.
  • I saved money by sending the package first class. The man said it could take 3 weeks. It was there in 3 days!
  • Returned some items to Walmart that were wrong size or didn't work
  • My husband signed up for the Phillips 66 gas app. He now gets $.25 off each gallon of gas.
  • I listened to The Best Man by Grace Livingston Hill on LibriVox for free.
  • Made a batch of my Super Quick, Super Cheap, Laundry Detergent.
  • Used balls of aluminum foil in the dryer when I ran out of dryer sheets. It helped keep down the static.

Blessings to you all! Don't forget to record your blessings and your thriftiness and diys!
I'd love you to share them in the comments!

Laura
Doing What I Can With What I Have Where I Am

8 comments:

  1. HOLA QUERIDA HERMANA: ME GUSTA TU LISTA, TENEMOS ALGUNAS COSAS EN COMUN: COMPRAR ROPA O CALZADO, DE SEGUNDA MANO, HACER MI DETERGENTE PARA LA ROPA, ME RINDE 6 LITROS WOW, Y AHORRO MUCHO DINERO, TAMBIEN RECICLO FRASCOS DE VIDRIOS Y LATAS DE FRUTAS, ME GUSTA DARLE OTRA UTILIDAD A LAS COSAS QUE MUCHOS TIRAN A LA BASURA, TAMBIEN HICE ROPA INTERIOR PARA MI Y MI HIJA DE 14 AÑOS QUE LA HABRAS VISTO EN MI BLOG, SE LLAMA PRISCILA Y TIENE SINDROME DE DOWN, COSI BOMBACHAS CON BUZOS O REMERAS DE ALGODON QUE NO SE USABAN, TODAVIA SE PODIAN RECICLAR, SAQUE EL MOLDE DE UNA BOMBACHA QUE ESTABA DESGASTADA Y ASI COSI PARA ELLA Y PARA MI, Y ME AHORRE MUCHOS PESOS, AQUI LA ROPA ESTA MUY CARA, HAY MUCHOS AUMENTOS, Y COMO TENGO 5 HIJOS, MAS MI ESPOSO Y YO, TRATO DE ARREGLAR LA ROPA Y COSER CON POCO DINERO, TAMBIEN COSI 2 PANTALONES PARA MI HIJO, LAS TELAS ME SALIERON MUY BARATAS, LA COMPRE EN UNA TIENDA QUE LA VENDIAN POR RETAZOS, ME GUSTA ESA CLASE DE COMPRAS, TRAIGO VARIOS RECORTES Y LES DOY MUCHA UTILIDAD. ORANDO POR USTEDES Y TU PAIS, PARA QUE DIOS LOS SIGA BENDICIENDO Y ARREGLE TODAS LAS COSAS, TODO ESTA EN MANOS DE DIOS. BENDICIONES DULCE HERMANA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you're getting some great deals. Thank you for praying for our country.

      Delete
  2. Great list! I used to save my used tin foil (clean) to use in the dryer too. I've about given up using the dryer all together any more:-) I suppose that's a savings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do miss having a clothesline. For awhile, I pegged things on a rope in our enclosed porch. It took forever to dry.I'm glad I have the dryer. I know there are better options, but for now it's my best option.Blessings,Laura

      Delete
  3. Turning the heating off and using the stove with peat we get for free is one of my great thrifty measures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, where do you get peat for free? Can you tell me exactly what it is? I think I know, but....

      Delete
    2. I would LOVE to get my hands on some peat... I ordered some a few years ago, after we went to Ireland -- but it was really expensive.

      Delete
  4. Wow! You’ve been blessed with lots of lovely friends! I started listening to a Grace Livingston Hill Librovox also - while folding laundry... much more enjoyable 😊 thanks for sharing your list!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor