Friday, March 13, 2009

Beans in My Cupboard...


I've got beans in my cupboard. Don't you just love beans? You can do so very many things with them! My family's favorite is homemade refried beans. They think that mine are far better than those you get in restaurants. I have to agree...must be the garlic! ~smile~ We're garlic lovers at our house.

There's a little Mexican store down the street called La Tiendita that sells fresh hot corn tortillas on Fridays and Saturdays. Goodness they're delicious when they're hot and fresh! The ones in the grocery store just don't compare. Someday I'll try making my own. For now, it's La Tiendita for me. It sounds so good, I think I'll go plunk down my $2 plus tax and get a big stack and make up some refried beans for tonight.

Here's my refried bean recipe. It makes enough for my family of 6 with plenty of leftovers.

4 cups of pinto beans (2 lbs.)
1 small onion, chopped
3-5 garlic cloves, chopped
2 T canola oil

Put the beans in a colander. Sort out all the uglies and broken beans. Then rinse them well in cool water, continuing to look for bad ones.

Now put everything in a your Crock Pot. Cook on high for around 7 or 8 hours. If you have a smallish Crock Pot, you'll want to halve this recipe. If you run out of time, you can put them on the stove to finish them up. You can also just cook them on the stove for 2-3 hours. You want them good and soft. Now add salt to taste, usually at least a tablespoon. Don’t put it in until your beans are soft, or they’ll be tough.

Now, put 3 or 4 ladles full of beans and juice in a large skillet. I spray mine with cooking spray first. Over medium heat, mash the beans until they have the consistency of refried beans. If you want to, add some shredded cheddar, Pepper Jack, or Monterrey Jack cheese. Now they’re ready to wrap up in warmed tortillas for burritos or use for dip with chips.

You'll be so glad you tried this.

Laura
Happy at Home



Photo Credit: Roxy Jones via Pixabay

8 comments:

  1. This sounds so good and easy! I've made homemade flour tortillas before, a long time ago, they were easy and so much better than store bought but your'e getting a good deal fresh. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. O thank you! my mom has been after me to find a homemade re-fried bean recipe for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe is a modification on one I receive from a lady whose mother-in-law is Mexican. I like it a lot. Thanks for "talking back" to me!

    I'm on my way over to visit your blog right now!

    Blessings from Harvest Lane Cottage
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make refried beans too but your recipe looks better. I'm going to have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love refried beans and have only had canned. I must try this! Thanks for sharing it! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi AnnMarie,
    You will never go back to canned! They're so much better this way.
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always have beans in my cupboard too, love your recipe. http://nannaswisdom.com/over-the-moon-link-up-14/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor