Tuesday, August 7, 2012

What I've Been Putting Up With Lately


A friend asked me in an e-mail what I've been putting up lately.  After writing it out, I realized it looked like a blog post, so I'm sharing it with you, too!

Our garden has produced zucchini, yellow squash, green peppers, jalapenos, sorrano peppers, red onions, and a couple of watermelons that were picked too early. We've since found a youtube video that tells us how to pick them ripe.  We've picked some ripe melons now.  Yum.  We've also had just a few tomatoes.

I've shredded zucchini and yellow squash together and frozen them in 3 cup portions for my zucchini cake. That will be yummy come winter.

I've blanched and frozen lots of ears of corn that I found on sale for twenty cents apiece at 4th of July time.   The taste of summertime preserved! 

I've frozen many quarts of strawberries and some blueberries that I found on sale for ninety-nine cents this month.  I've also frozen banana chunks.  Some of these will find their way into smoothies.

I made strawberry jam, peach jam, Harvest Peach jam, and Kiwi jam.

I've chopped about 15 green peppers coarsely and put half in the dehydrator and half in freezer bags. The dehydrated ones will go into a soup, stew, or chili.  The frozen ones might end up in a stir-fry or on a pizza. 

I've chopped up our garden onions; and, they're in the dehydrator.

I also made half a bag full of pickling cucumbers into cucumbers and onions for the fridge.  These we'll eat in the next couple of days.  If I receive more, I may try pickles.
Anyhow, that's some of what I've done this last month. I hope I need to can tomatoes and spaghetti sauce soon!  I might try watermelon rind pickles this year, too.

 We'll see what bounty the Lord brings my way!
May God bless you with lots to put up with!
Laura

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm impressed, Laura! And you are blessed with wonderful garden rewards!

    Blessings,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today I'll be processing some peaches. I think I'll make jam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been putting up with a lot lately! LOL! Your veggies sound good for ratatouille. We like to make that with our crop. Thanks for linking up and for following me on Pinterest. From a fellow long time homeschool mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I am a newbie with the crew. Stopping by to follow. I recommend making watermelon rind pickles. We did for the first time this year and I think we like them better than regular sweet pickles.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor