Friday, July 25, 2014

Frightened of God

I went to a little after school Bible club when I was in first grade and in the beginning of second grade. Believe it or not, it was held in the school. I remember watching the flannel graph board as the teacher told the stories of Jesus. I never doubted that Jesus was a real person or that God was real. So, when the teacher taught us the Bible verse, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life," I believed her (John 3:16). In fact, that was the only verse that I remembered through the years. I loved my little classes and was sorry that I couldn't continue them when I moved to Kansas during second grade.

After I moved to Kansas, there was an occasional Vacation Bible School; but, for the most part, not a whole lot of training. My mom did teach me to say the child's prayer, "Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take. God bless Mommy. God bless Daddy. God bless John. God bless Grandma and Grandpa...." You get the idea. Let me tell you; I wasn't too keen on the "if I should die before I wake" part! It kept me just a little afraid of God.

For a little while after my mom and dad divorced, we went to church with one of my mom's friends. I went to the 6th grade Sunday School class. I remember feeling like I was so hopelessly behind that I'd never learn this Bible stuff. I also remember feeling like the preacher was looking right at me when he gave the sermon. I tried to slouch down and disappear behind the grown ups around me.



As I grew older, I grew in sin and in stature and became a teenager. I had more to be ashamed of than just the confession I'd made in that class that I hit my brother. The teacher had asked me to confess my sin when I asked Jesus into my little heart. Now, I'd said hateful words, seen things on t.v. and movies that were bad, had bad thoughts, hit my brother more. You get the idea. Every once in awhile, I'd go over to a friend's house, and her religious mother would have Billy Graham or someone else on t.v. talking about God. I remember feeling intensely ashamed and frightened of God. I knew that I was dirty with sin. I knew He could see what I'd done and knew what I thought. I didn't run to Him, though. I ran away.

God didn't give up. I'd find tracts with the way to salvation lying around in public places. I had to read them. I had to find a way to get rid of this guilt that was building up. Even so, I just didn't quite believe it would work. I just knew I was going to go to hell. I was still frightened.



Finally, on New Year's Day, 1980, I was watching the PTL Club show. Jim Bakker was interviewing a lady who had been a drug addict. She had turned to Jesus, had been saved, and had been delivered from her drug addiction. A lightbulb went on in my head and my heart. This woman had done stuff that was way worse than what I'd done. Isn't it like us to compare even our sins to others' to try to make ourselves feel better? Anyway, I finally had this revelation:



If God had forgiven this woman, maybe He could forgive me, too.



So, when Jim Bakker lead the sinners' prayer, I asked Jesus to forgive me and asked Him into my heart. I became a Christian that day January 1, 1980. I asked my mom if we could go to church. I knew Christians were supposed to go to church. She wasn't interested at that time. So, I had to think of something else. I kept watching PTL on the little t.v. in my bedroom that Grandma Mamie and Grandpa Frank had given me. It was a great way to start the day.


Soon it was time to go back to school. I saw a girl on the bus, named Kim, who had always been nice to me, even when others were mean. I went up to her and asked her to take me to church with her. After she picked herself up off the floor of the bus (just kidding), she agreed to take me to her church. I got permission from my mom and went to Rolling Hills Christian Church with her. It didn't occur to me that there might be more than one kind of church. God just took care of me. The next Sunday, Pat, the lady who lived on the property behind our 3 acres, showed up at our door to take me to church. And the next Sunday and the next Sunday and the next Sunday! She came with bulldog tenacity! Good thing, too. I didn't have a chance to get away from God this time. ~smile~


A few weeks later, I went forward at concert with my friend Kim and Pat's daughter. I actually thought they wanted me to go up because they were afraid to go up themselves. Surprise surprise! A couple of weeks later I went forward at church to confess Jesus, be baptized, and join the church. That little country church family became my family. They were there for me during some really hard things. Ah, but that's another story for another day.


Friend, are you frightened of God? Do you think you're too bad? Too sinful? Too dirty? I did, too. We are all bad, sinful, and dirty. BUT GOD made a way for us to come to Him and become good, righteous, and clean. His name is Jesus Christ, the Son of God. He said Himself that He is the Way the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father except through Him.


Jesus paid the price for our sins by taking our punishment on the cross at Calvary. "If we confess our sins, He (God) is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:9



We must run to God. We must confess. We must ask forgiveness. We must ask Jesus to be our Lord and Savior. God is willing and able to forgive our sins. He wants us.

Are you willing?


Laura
I shared this back in 2009, but I felt it was time to share it again.
~~~~~
May I suggest?

 Philosophy 101 and Truth ~ A Must-See Movie: God's Not Dead

~~~~~

15 comments:

  1. Good Afternoon Laura!

    Wow... this was such a good post. Doesn't it take courage to open your heart up to others? God is so good all the time. He only wants whats best for his children, doesn't he?

    I would rather fear the Lord and be blessed than to run away and be frightened. But, as a child, yes we do tend to lean to the frightened side more than we do the trusting side, right?

    You have such a good heart, Laura! So blessed to have met you through our blogs!

    Keep speaking the word of truth!

    Hugs,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What A great story! I grew up in a God Fearing Christian home. Im glad I did. But My personal life experiences are almost a carbon copy of yours. And for the record, I loved to visit PTL!!!
    Thanks for sharing!!! come visit my blog sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember feeling the same way as a "youngster", Laura. I was afraid I could never be good enough and that LIE followed me for years. But what the devil meant for harm...God has used to help others who struggle with the same thing, just as He is using your story to encourage and bless others. So thankful that Christ is IN us, the Hope of Glory. I do not know what I would do without the Holy Ghost, the Comforter, living inside of me. How do people make it?? He is our strength, our hope and our inheritance. Blessings to you! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no idea, Nannette. I remember feeling dirty all the time. Definitely not good enough. Praise God for His mercy and grace, Jesus for His sacrifice and love, and the Holy Spirit for bringing us to Truth, repentance and salvation through Jesus Christ.

    ReplyDelete

  5.  Hi Lisa,
    Until we come to Jesus ourselves, I think we have a lot in common whether we had Christian parents or not. I'm sure you have lots of happy memories.
    Blessings,
     
    Laura
    Lane
     

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy,
    I'm so glad we know each other like this too. I hope we'll be blog friends a long time.

    It does take courage to be open, but it's easier for people to relate when we are open. I hope this helps someone to trust God.

    Blessings,

    Laura Lane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this on the Art of Home-Making Mondays. And God bless those women who took the time to take a girl in need to church. A great reminder for us all to pay attention to those around us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Laura....bless you for baring your heart and sharing your soul's journey with this beautiful post. You touched many hearts with your words, I just know it.

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to say that prayer like you did, but became worried about confessing something into existence (If I should die before I wake...). My wife and I changed it for our children:

    Now I lay me down to sleep
    I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
    Let angels watch me through the night
    Until I reach the morning light.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mrs. P,
    That's wise. I said it this way with my kids.

    "Now I lay me down to sleep,
    I pray the Lord my soul to keep,
    May angels watch me through the night,
    and wake me with the morning light."

    Thanks for "talking back"!
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always felt that God was a loving God. Thankful for the gift of repentance! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I agree completely, Jann.
    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing your heart with us on What You Wish Wednesday. Please join us again today!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're very welcome, Leslie. I'll be over for a visit soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor