Friday, September 11, 2015

A Thrifty Week at Harvest Lane Cottage #46


Hello Dearies!
Time for another thrifty week post. 
Sometimes, it's not about what you do.
Sometimes it's about what you don't do...
or do rarely.

For instance...
We don't have a big fancy house.
We don't have a second car.
We don't have a car payment.
We don't go shopping for fun.
We don't have any credit cards.
We don't go out to movies.*
We don't buy the latest electronic gadgets.
We don't have cable, or any other t.v.
We don't have long-distance on our home phone.

I rarely buy books for me.*
I rarely pay new clothes for the kids
except undies, shoes, socks, and my son's jeans.
We rarely take our whole family out for dinner.
We rarely go to the doctor. 

So many of the things that I do that are thrifty are simply second nature. 
I've lived this way for so many years, I don't even think about it anymore for the most part. 

What kinds of things are second nature to you?

Laura
Living and Learning

~~~

*The last full price movie I saw was the one about Timothy Green several years ago. 
*I am blessed to receive books for review for free.




9 comments:

  1. Laura, what a wonderful post. I too, do not have a fancy house ,nor do I need one..Lots of times, in our lives, we wondered where our next meal was coming from [but God always supplied..]. There was a time,the only car we had tore up, and Kenny had to walk to work, I was pregnant with first baby..We had to do with out to save money, to get that old junk car running.
    But even though, we had the lean times, we had each other ,and knew God loved us.
    I love that you are happy with what you have, and you encourage me. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true, Laura. We could echo many of the things you said that you don't do. God makes a way where there is no way, literally, time after time. One thing He has shown us so many times is that He truly WILL rebuke the devourer for our sakes, when we are faithful to put Him first and tithe. It is hard sometimes, but as my Mimmie used to say, you cannot outgive God. He is abundantly faithful to supply our every need, as we are obedient, put our trust in Him, and trust Him with all our hearts. I love this post...it truly spoke to me! God bless you, sweet friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't even tell you what movie I went to see last. It has been so many years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura, I am so happy to see you sharing this post at Five Star Frugal. This is absolutely my mantra too. As for the no-reply blogger status, Nellie over at Nellies Cozy Place recently told me I am a no-reply blogger and I had no idea what she meant. I'll be checking that out. Thanks so much. Love Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're no longer showing as no reply Mimi. I hope you get more replies to your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean Michelle. A couple could easily drop $40 to go to a movie at our local theater.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes I agree Cheryl. I think maybe I should add tithing to my list next week because He does rebuke the devourer. It was good to read this reminder. One birthday gift down! He will be fifty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi sweet friend! You sound like us... We don't have a car payment or credit card. We don't go to movies :) Thank you for sharing this wonderful post with Roses of Inspiration. I am always blessed by you. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're sweet, Stephanie. I'd like to have a car fund to save for the next car, but I haven't been able to squeeze that out of the budget yet.
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor