Friday, July 6, 2018

Thrifty Things Lately at Harvest Lane Cottage #129


Thrifty Things Lately at Harvest Lane Cottage!
We all want to save money, be thrifty and frugal, get some projects done, and be thankful for our blessings from God. Perhaps my list of things that my family has done lately can be an inspiration to you or give you a few ideas.

A Thrifty Week at Harvest Lane Cottage

~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~

Hello everyone,

  I'm so glad you dropped by today—or tonight. It's always good to meet new blog friends and reconnect with old friends. I haven't written a Thrifty Week Post in several weeks now. Truthfully, I just haven't felt too thrifty. I did some thrifty things just because they are second nature. However, I cannot say I've been working at it. 

  I've just been on cruise control while riding out these last few weeks of treatment. Just a bit longer—July 18th is the last treatment. I'm just glad cancer is not going to kill me, and the treatments are not going to dictate my schedule like they have this past year. As I regain strength and energy, I need to get busy being thrifty!

  My husband's been working every weekend since early May, so we've not done anything fun yet this summer. It's in addition to his regular work, so he's been a very busy man. That work has just ended, so we will see more of him. We've got some extra expenses coming up in the next few months, so it's time to tighten the purse strings a bit. It's something I've got a bit of experience with! A couple of years ago, we went four months without a paycheck. We depended heavily on the LORD. HE always takes care of us. He will now, too.

 I'd love it if you'd tell me what you've been doing in your home!


~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~
Here's my thrifty blessed summer so far.

  • I bought a sweater shaver at Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon. I hope it will help save some clothing that is showing wear.
  • I bought some sock yarn at Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon.
  • I've been using up what we have on hand for meals. I had the refrigerator mostly bare for a few days. I've been working on the cabinets, too. I want to clear them out and give it all a good cleaning. I hope to enlist my girls' help.
  • We've been eating out of the freezer, too.  I'd like to defrost the stand-up freezer in a month or two. It's easier when there's not a lot of meat to try to keep frozen.
  • Some knitting friends gave me some yarn. I've cast on and frogged a shawl six times already with one of the beautiful skeins from Wendy's Wonders. It's my first shawl, Reyna, and I'm finding it a tough learning curve for me. I'm also using slick metal needles instead of wood. I've not done that with fingering weight yarn and this size of needles before. I will not give up! I'll try casting on again.
  • Another friend gave me leftover sock and fingering weight yarn to add to my Fiddly Bits scarf/cowl. I like how it's knitting up.
  • My son was able to do some rather extensive work on my daughter's brakes. The parts were costly, but he repaired them for free. I think she owes him a big favor! 
  • A friend gave us a couple frozen chickens. I put one in the pot for chicken and dumplings. It brought all my family home for dinner one Sunday evening—priceless!
  • My daughter and I had queso, chips, and salsa for lunch one day. Total $7. Not bad for a mini date.
  • I've been filling out surveys with Survey Junkie. I make far more than I did with Swagbucks. I've been using the Amazon credit to purchase knitting needles and supplies. 
  • I've filled a couple of bags with giveaway things. Real Estate Investment!
  • Just three of us for dinner tonight, so I made half a batch of Greek salad dressing.
  • I went out for tea and a snack with my friend. She was kind to buy mine, too. Thanks Deb! Yes, she's the same Deb we've been praying for. Her heart is doing just fine now. She is having back pain and stomach problems. Please pray for her. She appreciates your prayers so much.
  • I've been using a broken phone for a couple of weeks. It is a slide phone. The hinges broke, so it's held together with a hair elastic. The phone stopped working, and it now only texts. I'm making do. My daughter just got a new phone, so I'll use her old phone for now and transfer my info to it. It was my son's before it was hers. It should last until it's time to get me a new phone of my own. I like to get as much use out of something as I can before discarding it. ~grin~ That's really the case here!
  • I refilled a foaming soap dispenser using a little Suave shampoo and a lot of water.  I actually did this a couple of times. We wash our hands a lot!
  • We were able to get our prescriptions filled for free with our insurance.
  • My deductible is met, and insurance is paying my medical bills. Major blessing! 
What have you done in your home this week?



~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~

May you make the best of what you've got
however much or little!

When we are faithful in little,
God sees it.

ღLauraღ

...doing what I can with what I've got
where I am on a shoestring budget!

~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~

Thank you all for writing to me. I read every comment. I truly appreciate the support you've all given me during my treatments. 

Blogger is currently having issues with notifying bloggers of comments by email.  It is therefore difficult to respond.  

I will respond on the blog as I have time.  
You may wish to subscribe to comments to be notified when I respond.

God bless you all!
 Laura


~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~

16 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have done quite well on the frugal part.
    Summer is young, and you as a family will get to do some fun things. work on being healthy for now - then go have some FUN!!!
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Cheryl! My husband is at the shooting range with my son learning to shoot a handgun. Funny how men bond over things like shooting ranges!

      Delete
  2. It seems like you have been very frugal in spite of all you have going on around you. It's wonderful that your son can do car repairs. Have fun with your knitting... can't wait to see your shawl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son is learning it all on YouTube! It's amazing what you can learn there these days!

      I'm finally making some slow progress on the shawl. It took me awhile to figure it out.

      Blessing,
      Laura

      Delete
  3. It is so good to see you here! I got a terrible virus Memorial Day weekend and am just now feeling better. I lost half of summer it seems. I don't ever remember being so sick. I was so thankful to have meals in freezer that my husband could just take out and heat up. I am glad that Deb is doing so much better and will continue to pray for her. In the last two weeks two of our dear friends have gone home to heaven. It has been so sad for both families.

    We continue to do as we always do here. We have been blessed to have a grocery surplus store open in our town. They get in such good stuff and sell it so cheap. They often have the best brands because those are the ones no one can afford at the regular store. This week it was $5 bottles of OJ for only 99 cents, lg boxes of sea salt for 1.49, jumbo eggs for 1.25 dz, and all the name brand breads are $1 so we got Thomas bagels for $1 and 16 pack of hot dog buns for $1. They get new stock in nearly everyday and post it on their Facebook page so when I see something that we use I know it is time to go and stock up.

    For years I have saved for a small motorhome and we were blessed to find one we could pay cash for 3 weeks ago. We are outfitting it from what we have here on hand before buying new things. This will be a huge help for traveling with my husband's brain injury because he will have a space to escape to when he gets overwhelmed with people.

    I hope you can get out more and do some fun summer things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've been amazingly frugal! Good for you!

      I am thrilled that you were able to get the motorhome. May God bless you both and bring healing to your husband in Jesus' name!

      Hugs,
      Laura

      Delete
  4. Laura, I'm so glad you've been able to function so well through your almost-over treatments. You are amazing! My "frugal" efforts have been in the food department lately. Cleaned out my freezer last month and found things I had forgotten I had -- had some great homecooked meals on busy days instead of resorting to takeaway. Today I cleaned the refrigerator and did a bit of organizing that will prevent food waste (I try really hard to never waste food).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I've done poorly with food. Something's happened lately that is going to require me to be much more thrifty and careful with food.

      I need to clean my fridge again.
      God bless, and thanks for talking back!

      Delete
  5. Always love to read your Thrifty Ideas. I find things to do that I haven't thought of sometimes. My husband is unable to eat much these days so I'm always looking for ways to eat out for a snack rather than a meal. Taco Buena has a great Nachos dish we share just to get out now and then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My heart goes out to you dear. I know it must all be so difficult. I went through a time when I didn't eat much during chemo. God bless you both and bring healing in Jesus' name!

      Delete
  6. Good job at the thrifty bits! I was thrifty today using up eggs nearing the end of there useful life. I made egg salad for church tomorrow and even got enough bread for 67 cents each loaf at Wal Mart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Michelle! Good to hear from you. Excellent use for eggs. I've never had any go bad in my 45+ years of cooking. Scary number that!

      Delete
  7. Great thrifty inspiration. Thanks for linking at
    the Fabulous Party. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Laura, you are so amazing with being frugal. We can all learn from that. It's always very exciting when savings come along. I recently needed a new mixer and found one in fantastic shape for $2.00 at a garage sale. I was thrilled. Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor