Friday, February 22, 2019

Thrifty Things Lately at Harvest Lane Cottage #135


Thrifty Things Lately at Harvest Lane Cottage!

~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~
Hey Y'all,

  It's been downright cold around here. I haven't even wanted to go outside. I have resigned myself to a winter without snow, but it sure would be nice if some of y'all would send some down to southwest Missouri for me! Some of you have had way more than your share this year. We used to get a fair amount of snow here when we moved here in the nineties. I hope the weather pattern changes again and lets us enjoy winter again. We've had a couple icy days that closed school, but they don't compare with the fun of snow days.

  I hope you find an idea or two to save some money this week. Please share your ideas with me, too.

 God bless!
 Laura
~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~
Here's how my family has been thrifty lately.



  • I made half a pound of bacon go for four BLTs. 
  • I made apple crisp with some apples that were a bit bruised.
  • Amy made egg salad with eggs on sale at Aldi.
  • I'm saving up my yarn scraps to make a Helix hat.
  • We made chicken quesadillas with leftover chicken breasts, Mexican blend cheese from Aldi, a couple of cut up peppers, a cut up onion, some flour tortillas, and a little butter. It's hard to beat such a simple kind of yum.
  • We are still using the piano given to us many years by our friends the Freemans. It could use a tuning, but our girls have been able to learn to play. It's changed their lives. They actually love to play and sing worship music. Thank you Deb!
  • Staying home more means less gas used.
  • Interlibrary loan has kept me from buying some books I want to or need to read.
  • YouTube has lots of great tutorials.
  • I've used free knitting patterns found on Ravelry or Pinterest.
Well, that's all that comes to mind. Please share what you've been doing in your home. 

Have a wonderful, creative, happy week!
Laura

14 comments:

  1. Hello!
    Sounds cozy down there!
    It is more fun to enjoy the cold when there is the beautiful snow to look at.
    I am currently returning to life after Madison's wedding, and am napping quite a bit! Lol!
    Your meals sound delicious, my friend.
    Have a cozy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet you need some naps after the wedding! It's hard to imagine her married. I'm sure she'll make a wonderful wife. I hope your week is wonderful.

      Delete
  2. I have made dishcloths out of an old towel this week and saving a few old shirts to make a rag wreath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea. I am using an old apron and an old shirt to make rags to clean with. I like your idea of using old shirts to make a rag wreath.
      Be blessed! If you send me your email, I'll try to respond directly to you.
      Blessings,
      Laura

      Delete
  3. Oh we love chicken quesadillas too! They are so frugal and easy to make! I always enjoy hearing of your frugal ways! Praying always for your continued health!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are delicious. I think I'd like to put them on the menu regularly.

      Delete
  4. We had record breaking snow here in Arizona. My husband had to shovel snow out of our walkway so we can get to our car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Regina,
      You're fortunate to have a strong husband to shovel for you and care for you. May I borrow a cup of snow? I'd like to make snow ice cream. They keep forecasting snow here in southern Missouri, but we haven't gotten it. I think we've become a southerners!
      Be blessed and warm,
      Laura

      Delete
  5. We made BLTs this week too. They were SO good! And I check out e books from my library too and it's been great! Thank you SO much for coming over to visit me tonight. It means a lot to me! Hugs, Diane Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so kind Diane. I'm curious. Why the name Lavendar Dreamer? I am new to your blog.

      Delete
  6. Hi Laura, We just purchased a water purification system (Berkey), so in the long run its a saving as I will no longer need to continually purchase 24 packs of bottled water. I picked a whole lot of our tomatoes and apples and made tomato relish x 10 jars. Healthier and cheaper than buying from the store. Loved reading your post.
    Blessings to you ~ Linda :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda,
      It's so good to hear from you. I just finished using the fabulous vanilla hand cream you gave me. It was dreamy.

      We have had to go to town to buy water for most of the time we've lived in the country. When I came down with cancer, my husband paid to have a water filter installed. It saved me lots of hours. Money? I don't know. Trouble? Yes it saved lots of trouble.

      Sounds like you've been busy and frugal in your canning. I've never really gardened, but my daughter is going to try in containers this year. I will probably help some. It would be good for me to learn.

      I'm going to go and visit your blog now.
      Hugs,
      Laura

      Delete
  7. Chicken quesadillas are delicious! For thrifty things yesterday,I was able to make two loaves of French bread with flour we got from a couple who moved away. Tomorrow we will have lentil and barley soup for dinner. The lentils and barley came from the same couple who moved away. They didn't want to take a bunch of food with them so we were blessed to receive the food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were blessed. That sounds like a great meal for a cold day.
      Happy wintering!
      Laura

      Delete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor