Sunday, June 30, 2019

Window Shopping with my Little Dog Penny


Hello everyone!

When we adopted our little pound puppy, Penny, she was 8 weeks old. Her mama was a Dachshund, and her papa was a ramblin' man. ~grin~ I had been looking for a Dachshund for months, but I just couldn't find one. I found little Penny along with her sisters and brothers at the local animal shelter. They had been born in the shelter and not handled very much prior to adoption. Although she was not a pure bred like I wanted, I decided that she was God's thrifty option for our family. 

At the time, I was working part-time with my husband at our restaurant...meaning I was on-call at a moment's notice, I was driving the family everywhere they needed to go in a three town triangle (only 1 vehicle), and I was homeschooling. Penny went along with me in the van sometimes and became very well-behaved in the van on the go. She did not have much contact with strangers except through the window.

She's five now, and I'm trying to get her used to walking in public without pulling or being unmannerly. We live in a little town with a lovely historic square and a breathtakingly beautiful courthouse. Some of the shops have store windows that surround a recessed entrance. When we come to one of these shops, I tell Penny we are going to window shop. We slow down, walk into the recess, and look at everything in the shop windows. Sometimes a shopkeeper will come to the door to chat. Penny's part is to walk slowly with me or sit by me until I'm ready to go on. 

I'd like to get her so accustomed to going downtown that she will sit by me patiently while I sit on a bench and knit a bit. I think it would add a bit of nostalgia for visitors to our little town. There's even a little coffee shop on the square. I might sit on a bench outside, call in my order, and ask the barista to bring it to the door! It is a bit pricey, but a chai tea latte is nice once in awhile.


Be blessed!
Laura
Living my slightly old-fashioned life
in my own little happy world 

16 comments:

  1. I can just visualize this. How sweet and I bet the town's folk would love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun outing Laura! You and Penny will surely add some character to your wonderful downtown.
    The courthouse looks like the historic courthouse in Wichita, Kansas. (It is now their history museum.) I wonder if the same architect designed it?
    I hope you and Penny enjoy cool weather and many walks to the courthouse this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Penny sounds like a wonderful addition to your family and has been over the years. It is wonderful that you are trying to socialize her and make her a fixture when you go downtown! Blessings- Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every town needs some old-fashioned charm.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  4. Aw, you and Penny make a great pair. There is a lady who walks her two little dogs to the post office in my little town every day. She drops the leashes, walks in to get her mail, and the dogs stay put. I'm totally impressed, because my two would be GONE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Penny I think that my Penny would probably just run off if I dropped her leash and went inside somewhere. Or she would just sit outside and bark and bark and bark! It's going to take awhile to get her to walk without pulling and to use good manners, but I think it's going to be worth it.

      Have a wonderful Independence Day!

      Delete
  5. Awe she sounds so sweet! i'd love to see pictures of her :-) We have 5 rescue dogs right now, but through the years all our dogs have been rescues :-) I hope you are doing well!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill,
      I meant to share a photo of Penny, but I'm using my husband's computer. There's a problem with my computer connecting to WiFi in our new house. It should be fixed next week. I'll try to get a photo posted soon. Thanks so much for writing to me!
      Mrs. Laura Lane

      Delete
  6. Sounds idyllic sitting in the square with a coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that is a wonderful idea! BTW, I just went back to Blogger--please excuse the mess while I relearn how to do this, smiles. (https://lindamconley.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just recently got into drinking chai tea. You're right, they are pricey, but I make mine at home like this — I brew two vanilla chai tea bags in a large pot, then add half and half and honey. I keep it in a pitcher in the refrig. and drink it over ice over the course of a few days. I have made it from scratch using a regular tea bag and adding cinnamon, cloves, and ginger. I would add cardamom if I had it on hand, but never have bought any, so just used the other spices. But, I prefer using the vanilla chai tea bags because the spices/flavors are already in there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Living an old fashioned life is a wonderful way to live my friend.I have been doing it all my life...even before it has become "popular".. Such a joy to read your latest news!~ Have a blessed day dear lady. God's grace to you always, Karla

    ReplyDelete
  10. That breed can be hard to train. Not that they are not smart , they are just stubborn. Good luck, the downtown sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet story! My grandparents always had Doxies. They can be so much fun with their little personalities. One would run and stick her head under the sofa at the slightest rumble of thunder never realizing that the rest of her was out there for the storm to get her!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved this writing Laura, your town sounds delightful. I even told my husband about how you sit and knit on a bench as the people walk by. You painted a lovely word picture for us, especially in this busy frenetic world people live in today. I was having a discussion with my husband at lunch time about what the world would look like today if the majority of mums/wives were still at home, like it was years ago. I just took it for granted that my mum would be there. I'm so often nostalgic about how things once were. Blessings to you ~ Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a sweet companion. Penny sounds precious. I'm sure she will learn to do what you want, in no time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor