Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Crazy Vanilla Fish Lips Kiss Socks


Hello ladies,

  It's a pleasure to visit with you this afternoon. I truly enjoy our time together, both the time that I write to you and the time when I get to read your comments back to me. If you would like to write to me outside the comment section, you can always reach me at laura@harvestlanecottage.com. I invite your letters and notes.  If you prefer snail mail (I do), please send me an email, and I will give you my mailing address.

  Someone recently asked me about the Fish Lips Kiss pattern by Sox Therapist that I use to make my socks. It is actually a pattern for the heel, but it also helps you to size the sock perfectly for your foot or whosever you are knitting for. I had my doubts, but I have knit 3 pair so far using the pattern, and it worked splendidly. 


  I used Seam Free Rounded Toe for a Toe Up Sock by Lynne Ashton found on Ravelry.com. I use it, because my feet are wide at the toes. Then I knit knit knit in the round until I got to the point where the Fish Lips Kiss pattern told me to begin the heel. I knit the heel using the YouTube video the lady made to go with it to learn the unfamiliar stitches. After the heel was complete, I knit knit knit in the round until it was as long as I wanted it. The plain knitting in the round is the vanilla. The crazy is the color. Lastly I used a super stretchy bind off after a k1 p1 cuff. I'm sorry, I cannot remember the name of the bind off.

  I learned to knit my first socks by following a Knit Picks tutorial video called Kelley's Sock Class.

  I would suggest you practice knitting in the round by making some simple hats. Here's an easy one.

  If you're just learning to knit, this is a nice project that was one of my early ones. 

  I'll be happy to answer any questions I can for you. You'll find that YouTube is indispensible as is the channel Very Pink Knits.

  Enjoy this time with your family if you are together more, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity. Look at the positive. Leave off the news. Most of it's bad regardless of truth. It wasn't that long ago they had us all stirred up over impeachment! After this virus, it will be onto something else. 

 Be safe and trust God!

 Blessings from Harvest Lane Cottage,
 Laura


This post was featured at I Made It Monday.



18 comments:

  1. Hi Laura,

    Your socks look great! Another blogging friend recently mentioned using the fish kiss heel pattern, and how handy it was. It has been a long time since I knit a pair of socks. I should start some soon.: )I always enjoy my visits to your blog. Your positive outlook is a blessing!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sarah,  Yours is one of my favorite blogs as well. I love to read about what you've been up to in your sewing, knitting, cooking, homemaking, and of course I love to see your dolly girl as well.Be blessed and safe,Laura

      Delete
  2. Laura, I love the socks and I was just thinking that I don't knit but those socks sure look comfy. I love the time that we are having as I think it is good for parents to spend some time with their children and for everyone to have some time to think of what is important to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Carol,
      Yes, the socks are comfortable, because they fit my feet so well. I must agree, this is an excellent opportunity for families in spite of the terrible circumstances. I've told my girls to enjoy this time, because we will never be together this much again. They are 18 and 22 and taking college courses on-line now.
      Be blessed Carol!
      Laura

      Delete
  3. I want to relearn how to knit. I can see the technique in my brain and I wonder if I picked up some needles,which I have a ton of, it might come back to me. Maybe once I finish a crochet project I'm currently working on, I'll give knitting a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Regina,  This is an excellent time to pick up knitting again. There are YouTube videos for anything you need to learn. It's an excellent resource.I'd love to see your project.  Be blessed dearie, Laura

      Delete
  4. You are such a dear :-) One more. . . do you use size 1 or 2 needles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lady Locust, I have used both size 0 and size 1. I find that the size 1 works well for me with this pattern, and it goes a bit faster than the 0s. ~smile~I hope you try them. You can use any toe pattern you wish with the Fish Lips Kiss. It's an easier pattern than you would think, and it's the bestdollar I've spent on knitting. ~grin~ Be blessed dearie, Laura

      Delete
  5. Love the socks, it inspires me to get out the needles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope you do. I love how portable knitting is. I even got a few stitches in on my break today at work!
      Be blessed,
      Laura

      Delete
  6. That is very funny name :)

    Laura, are you still working or are you at home during this situation? Just wondering.
    I’m a homebody and I’m going a little bit stir crazy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rhonda, Ironically, after 29 years at home, I began working February 24th in a doctor's office. I am still working three days a week at the office. I spent the month of March adjusting to being away from home more. Meanwhile, my daughters are now taking their college courses at home, one of them is teaching music over the internet, and my husband is working from home. It's like everything flipped. There have not been any cases in our town. I am super careful to Lysol everything at work a lot. ~smile~ Other than work, I do go for a ride with my husband in the car every few days. Be blessed dearie, this will be over soon.

      Delete
  7. Cute socks! It is really cold here in Missouri today...we are all trying to keep our hands busy. I am praying this is all behind us soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in Missouri, too. It's crazy how it was 88 one day and the next it was quite chilly. I've been very chilly lately. The sun is shining though, and that's a blessing. Be blessed! Laura

      Delete
  8. Always looking for a new sock pattern, and I like a toe-up sock. I will have to bookmark this one. Thanks for joining in Ginx Woolly Linx Party for July.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nice thing is that you can do FLK to up or top down.

      Delete
  9. Love the pattern and colors, you did great! I can barely crochet, can't imagine being able to knit. Thanks so much for linking up at #IMadeItMondayLinkParty 21. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  10. CONGRATS Laura! Your post is FEATURED at #IMadeItMondayLinkParty 22.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor