Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Heritage Recipe: Evie Funke's Potatoes au Gratin With Ham



Evie Funke and her husband were elders in the first church I attended. It was the church that I was saved into way back in 1981. It was a little country church filled with salt-of-the-earth Christians. I have fond memories of those days, and my ideas of how church folk ought to relate to one another still stems from that time many many years ago.

During a difficult time of my college life, I lived with Evie and her husband for a few months. This was one of my favorite dishes she made.

Potatoes au Gratin

Ingredients:
thinly sliced white potatoes to fill 9 x 13 pan
ham chunks as desired
medium white sauce: 
  • 2 T butter
  • 4 c milk
  • 1/2 c flour
  • 1/2 lb Velveeta cubed
  • 1/2 c margarine
  • 2 t salt
Spray 13 X 9 pan with pan spray.  Fill pan with potatoes (and ham if desired). Make white sauce with cheese.

Melt butter of medium-low heat. Whisk in flour and salt. Cook over medium heat until smooth and bubbly. Stir constantly. Remove from heat, stir milk in gradually. Return to heat and bring to a boil stirring constantly with a whisk. Boil and stir one minute. Reduce heat to low, and add cheese. Stir until melted.

Pour over potatoes in pan. Cover loosely with foil.

Bake at 350° 1 1/2 hours - hours until bubbly, lightly browned, and potatoes are fork tender.

8 comments:

  1. OMGOSH-That sounds like wonderful comfort food to me. My hubby loves Velveeta! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an old recipe Diana. I lived with Mrs. Funke and her husband for awhile when I was in college. That was 1983! I know it's older than that. Be blessed,Laura

      Delete
  2. I have a similar recipe that I cooked when our budget was so tiny and we had 4 teens at home.
    It is a delicious dish and reading your post makes me want to cook this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a wonderful comforting meal in one - one of my favorite ways to have a meal! Love your special memory attached to this dish. God's people are the best! Many blessings to you dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Marilyn. Salt of the earth!
      Hugs!
      Laura

      Delete
  4. Hi Laura! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog, that means the world. Your blog here is delightful and I love the story of Evie Funke, what a precious name! I too love those salt-of-the-earth kind of people, they are so precious and such a Gift. Really, the only kind of Christian right? : ) I understand exactly what you are saying.

    I responded back to your comment and I'm so sorry my reply was so late, I just saw your comment.

    God bless you Laura! ~Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No troubles. I'll be over to see it. Have a wonderful day.

      Delete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor