Friday, July 9, 2021

A Thrifty Week at Harvest Lane Cottage #167 and Chicken Scrap Soup

  Welcome to another...

Thrifty Week at Harvest Lane Cottage!

 I'm so glad you've found me! Each week I share my thrifty and frugal projects, ways of saving money, and my blessings from God. 

Harvest Lane Cottage
Est. 2019


I am so glad you dropped in for a visit today—or tonight!
Do say hello!

~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~

Hello ladies,

This week has been a challenge. My husband has been ill all week. We've been in quarantine. He's going to be fine. It's just a challenge to try to keep us all healthy and help Lowell regain his health. We're taking lots of vitamins to fight it. I plead the blood of Jesus over him, our family, and everyone fighting this virus. Thank you Jesus for your healing power.

Prayers requested for my Lowell.
He is ill with Covid but getting better in Jesus' name.


On a good note, my husband is self-employed. He's a business consultant who helps small business owners improve productivity and get systems in place so that they can focus on their passion. He's been able to do most of his work by phone or internet with naps in between. ~smile~ I expect he's on the mend even as I type this Thursday night.


~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~


Prayers requested for my Penny. She has limp tail. She's had it since the 4th. It's a temporary thing that should heal on it's own. I think it was from too much stress on her system. We had a couple of weeks with thunderstorms then fireworks for several nights. She is not in any pain. 

~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~

A Verse for You

"Heal me, Lord, and I will be healed; save me and I will be saved, for you are the one I praise."
Jeremiah 17:14

~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~

Here's what we've been up to this week.

~ My daughter, Amy, made some fun greeting cards. She is so talented. She takes after her Grandma Barb who was artistic and crafty.

~ We all stayed home all week. We saved on gas, coffee, and everything else we all spend money on when we go out!

~ My husband cleaned our central air conditioner. It's running so much better now. We were able to turn up the thermostat.

~ My husband also cleaned the dryer vent. The dryer's working better now.

~ I made Chicken Scrap Soup. I boiled the scraps from our roasted chicken. After straining it, I added cut up potatoes, onion, and carrots. I seasoned with salt, pepper, and thyme. When the veggies were tender, I added the meat I removed from the bones. It was rich and delicious.

~ It turned out that there was a clogged pipe in the ac that my husband couldn't fix. We had a repairman come out, and he found a leak where the cold air was going into our crawl space instead of into the house. It was cold down there! So, he fixed it, and now we've set the thermostat four degrees higher! Thrifty because it will work better now.

Dill Pickle Slices

~ I made a small batch of dill pickles from the first cucumbers in our garden. Five pints is a good start! First time to make pickles without breaking a jar. It's because I bought a new rack last summer that fits in the bottom of my soup pot.


~ I made a low calorie strawberry vinaigrette with Smucker's sugar free strawberry jam. This is for fresh use with lettuce, zucchini, and cucumbers from our garden. The tomatoes will be ready soon!

Strawberry Vinaigrette

~ I turned the heel on my second red and blue sock. I'm now knitting up the leg.

~ I planned menus and ordered things we needed from Walmart pick-up. That saves us money, because whoever goes shopping usually has a few impulse purchases. 

That's my thrifty week.
What are you doing in your home this week?

~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~

ღLauraღ
...doing what I can with what I've got
where I am on a short shoestring budget!


~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~

For those of us who are praying for healing....


* One thing that helps me keep busy is listening to audio books on Scribd

It's only $9.99 a month for unlimited audiobooks from major publishers, books, magazines, sheet music, podcasts, and documents as you want.

I get well over $9.99 a month in value. I love it.

You can get a free 2 month trial by using my Scribd  link. I'll get a month free, too, so it's win-win to try it out. 


In love since 1981.
For richer or poorer since 1986.

~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~


20 comments:

  1. Just letting you now what I know and you and Hubby should make the decision. Lavender essential oil is doing a very good job of killing the covid virus. Apply 5 drops to the bottom of the feet and put on socks. Do five doses of this four hours apart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lana. We'll add lavender to our arsenal.

      Delete
  2. Praying for your husband's healing and for everyone else to stay healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, I pray your hubby fully recovers and for healing for you, as well. Glad you're pumping the vitamins. I've heard good things about D3, C, and zinc doing miraculous things. Your thriftiness is commendable! Go you on putting up pickles and strawberry vinaigrette! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kim. I skipped a couple days of picking, and I now have big cucumbers and zucchini. The first cherry tomatoes came on, too. I guess I'll be busy tomorrow!

      Delete
  4. Prayers also for your sweet pup!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prayers that your hubby is on the mend and that everyone else stays healthy. Poor pup - that is one reason I can't stand fireworks. They just terrify the sweet animals. Hope she is doing better.
    Your homemade goodies look so yummy. Great job.
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is unfortunate about your husband's covid. Haven't heard of many people getting it after receiving the vaccine. Bummer to quarantine. Did that after receiving my shots. Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quarantine is a bummer indeed. My husband is recovering well thank you Jesus.

      Thanks for writing Dee!

      Delete
  7. Prayers for your dear husband, my friend.
    He has a wonderful nurse helping him!!!
    I too make a menu and grocery list for delivery.
    I know it saves money!!!
    Take care and be cozy.
    Your soup sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Laura, please know I am praying right now for Lowell's full healing and also for Penny x well done on your preserves, they look great ~ Blessings - Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Linda. I really appreciate that especially with what you and your family are going through right now. May God comfort you all and help you to do all that you need to do.
      Hugs,
      Laura

      Delete
  9. Oh dear! Prayers for speedy healing. And staying home does indeed help save money.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Prayers for your hubby and Penny. I’ve never heard of limp tail. Fireworks always stressed my dogs, too. 😢 looks like a frugal week at your house. The vinaigrette made my mouth water... I’ll bet it’s delicious! Your pickles look pretty and I love boiling leftover chicken for broth. I’m sure your soup was yummy. I hope you stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so sad to watch her little tail tucked down all the time. She cannot lift it right now. Still praying for her. I do wish we were neighbors Penny. I think we'd enjoy working on projects together sometimes.

      Delete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor