Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Apple Butter City Style....


Hello Everyone,
I had a question about making apple butter on my last post from Miss Carol.

"Hi there. Thanks so much for sharing your life...I so enjoy reading what you write! I have a question for you....is making apple butter quite impossible for someone who doesn't (unfortunately) live in the country and pick her own apples?? I love apple butter, but have never ever made it. I also don't have a recipe...help? :)"

~~~

Well Miss Carol, I'm not sure I'm the one to answer this! The truth is, I usually cheat a bit at making apple butter. I don't live in the country right now, but in a small town. Even when I did live in the country, I didn't have my own tree. We have gone apple picking at an orchard before; and that's just so fun with the kids. It's not always possible; and, it's a lot of work. So, here's how this small town girl cheats a bit! ~smile~

~~~

Apple Butter City Style
~~~

First, I buy one of those great big cans of apple sauce, the kind that the restaurants and large families use. Sometimes I'll buy two if I feel like making a lot.
~
Next, I open the can, pour it in a big pot, and start heating it up over medium heat, stirring often.
~
While it's heating, I go to the freezer and get out my cinnamon and cloves, and sometimes ginger and nutmeg. The most important spice is the cinnamon. I use the others if I have them on hand. I also get out the brown or white sugar. Either one works; but, I like the flavor of the dark brown sugar best.
~
Now, here's the part that makes me blush a bit. I don't measure anything! It makes it really hard to explain how to make it. I just pour in a bunch of cinnamon, a little bit of cloves, nutmeg, and and a tiny bit of ginger. How's that for measurements? ~smile~ I also add a lot of brown or white sugar, until it's as sweet as I like it. ~blushing again~ I guess you've guessed that I taste as I go! I do use a clean spoon though, in my defense.
~
While I'm in the kitchen paying attention, I keep it on medium low and stir it occasionally. If I'm going to be about the house, I put it on the lowest heat and stir it when I walk through the kitchen. I just continue to simmer it until it gets thick and dark and delicious, adjusting sugar and spices until it's just right. It takes hours.
~
When it's as thick as I like, I ladle it into jars and usually freeze it because I have plenty of freezer space. It can be canned; I just haven't done it. Consult the Ball Blue Book for instructions on that.
~
Well, that's about all I can think of. Oh, here's an idea your family might like. When you make cinnamon rolls, use apple butter instead of butter, cinnamon, and sugar for a filling. My family likes it.
~
We have to do what we can, with what we have, where we are.
~

Blessings,
Laura
Happy at Home

~~~~~
May I suggest?
~~~~~

12 comments:

  1. Oh you made me smile!! :D And I bet your house smells absolutely wonderful!! Thank you for the "recipe"....I just may try that and claim that I struggled all day long. Yeah, like they'd believe that! Thanks again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to take a second look Laura, for a second I thought I was at the wrong place. Am loving the new look here! Oh, how I miss those days when I spent hours preserving and canning summer's bounty for the long winter ahead. I made many a batch of apple butter and other goodies. With only Todd and I to eat these things, we'd never get them used up. I have enjoyed reading all your latest entries this morning Laura. I am playing catch up as usual!!! XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE apple butter...
    Have you ever tried the "Red-Hots" apple butter, Laura?
    My Hubby's aunt told me about it- put applesauce and a small bag of Red-Hots candy in a slow cooker ( to melt the candy)and it is WONDERFUL!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds easy enough. I think I could manage.
    Thanks for sharing at Tuesdays with a Twist. There's a Giveaway link today! Come on over and share a new post!

    http://back2basichealth.blogspot.com/2013/08/tuesdays-with-twist-18-and-more.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mary,

    We've since moved to the country. We have apples on the trees, but I don't know yet whether the worms and bugs have gotten to them. I may end up making my apple butter city style, too!

    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes shortcuts are the homemakers best friend, even if they do live in the county :) Thanks for linking up this easy recipe with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is fabulous, my friend! I am definitely going to have to try this recipe :) So glad you shared this with Roses of Inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't tried apple butter, but it sounds good. I can't wait to try this

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds somewhat easy! I made strawberry freezer jam last year and it turned out great! I can think about this. Thanks for sharing your process. kristiedonelson(at)gmail(dot)com Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor