Monday, May 17, 2021

Cherry Pits, Erma Bombeck, and Jehovah God


I remember a quote from Erma Bombeck.  You'll remember her from the seventies.  She said, "If life is a bowl of cherries, why am I aways in the pits?"  A lot of us can relate.  That's what made Mrs. Bombeck so popular.  She was famous for her witty way of stating the obvious.


God is famous for stating the not-so-obvious.  It is He, Jehovah God, our father, who through the Holy Spirit, inspired Paul to write, "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28. 

Unfortunately, that verse does not not mean that everything that happens to us is good.  Quite the contrary.  It doesn't even mean that all things work together for good for everyone.  It means He uses whatever the circumstances are to work for those who love Him, the ones He called for His purpose. 

So, we have to trust Him even when we don't feel like it, even when we cannot see any way that He can make things good.  Trust, it all comes down to trusting Him and being patient for His perfect will and His perfect timing.

So, next time I'm pitting cherries again, I'll remember that He is Good all the time, not just when we're eating the cherry jam.

Trust and Obey for there's no other way...to be happy in Jesus but to trust and obey.

Blessings,
Laura
~~~~~
May I suggest?
~~~~~




13 comments:

  1. And another thoughtful post!

    I first heard of this verse when I was a teenager and a friend of mine was in a coma. His mom used it to help comfort everyone. She said that regardless of what happened, God was going to use it all and there was a purpose. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice devotional and I remember the old hymn..Trust and Obey. Have a great week. Visiting from Amaze Me Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was a cassette tape the children loved listening to when they were young and one of the songs used this verse ... today when I hear this verse my heart is flooded with so many memories of them dancing around and singing! Such a simple verse, and oh so true! Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY...
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad it reminded you of a sweet memory, Cindy.
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cherries, they will be in season soon, yum! That verse is one of the best, it's a comfort, especially when things are difficult, to know that it all works together for my good, I can be saved in it all! It works for the good, because when things are hard, it brings out my sin (impatience, worry, being offended maybe...), then I can truly follow Jesus, and overcome like He did! Also, I loved Erma!
    Della

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Della,
      I never thought of that verse that way, but you're right. We get lots of opportunities to course correct, don't we?
      Blessings,
      Laura

      P.S. I'll be over for a blog visit in just a bit.

      Delete
  6. Amen. Only HE knows HiS ways. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is funny but I think you will understand. What came to mind while reading this was a Budweiser commercial several years ago where there is a puppy and a wolf threatens it but one of the Clydesdales walks up behind the puppy and scares the wolf away. God seems to work like that. Even when we don't know, He's there protecting us :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! I remember that commercial. It was wonderful. Obviously I don't like Budweiser, but they have made some wonderful commercials.

      Delete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor