Saturday, January 31, 2015

A Thrifty Week at Harvest Lane Cottage #35


Emily, Michael, and Amy... yes they hug without being told!
Dear Reader,

Hello! Perhaps this is your first time to visit Harvest Lane Cottage. Welcome! Each week I try to keep track of some of the thrifty and frugal things that I do around here to use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without. My family has gone through some really hard times and lived to tell about it. I hope that my posts will encourage you that you can do this thing called life with hope, a can do spirit, and a whole lot of prayer and hope in Jesus Christ.

If you're new to Harvest Lane Cottage, you may want to know more about me. I hope by the time you've been around for a bit, you'll also want to know more about my Lord, Jesus Christ.

This was a very busy week at the cottage. My husband remodeled our house by washing windows! Seriously, it looks like a brand new place! My part was washing curtains. I had already washed the insides of the windows a week or so ago. Last week we painted a room in the basement and moved Michael down there. This weekend we're thinking about painting our daughters' room.

~ I received some free books in the mail for review.

~ I made pizzas with leftover pita and tortillas from our freezer, a couple cans of tomato sauce, some pepperoni from the freezer, and some mozzarella cheese leftover from our older son's birthday dinner.

~ I spent a few hours mending several rips and tears in my younger son's Air Force jacket. It's a second hand one that he's worn for a couple of years. He snagged it on barb wire while working cattle with a local rancher. He's really enjoying his work.

~ I'm still cooking primarily from food on hand with supplementation. Our restaurant is still closed for the season, so I'm trying to keep expenses down.

~ I visited a naturopathic doctor. I got the supplement I needed and lay on the chi machine to adjust my neck for about $20. It would have cost more than an hundred dollars to go to the doctor.

~ I used lavender oil mixed in a little almond oil when I started to feel stressed or anxious.

~ My daughter took hooks and yarn we had on hand to her 4 H crochet class which Miss Sarah offered without charge.

~ We paid $1.69 a gallon for gas!

~ I signed my husband up for a free knife skills class at Craftsy.

All in all it was a pretty good week. What have you been doing to be thrifty in your home this week?

Blessings,
Laura
Who Loves it When Folks Talk Back



18 comments:

  1. Whistling,$1.69 for gas! Here is it $2.49, which is cheap. I had no idea who have a restaurant. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your new look- the kids look great too!

    It's so nice to get gas again for $1.69. Today though for some reason it had came back up to $1.94. Maybe it will go down here again soon. leaves more wiggle room to buy something else.

    Have a blessed day!



    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been encouraged by your blog and have started keeping a Frugal list. I am also reviewing our budget and "fine tuning" it. I cancelled my subscription to Ancestry.com-to save $240.00 per year. I can use the $20.00 a month to build up my pantry. We made several decisions to NOT buy items: a lamp with a built in plug (my husband attached a power strip to our existing end table); not to upgrade our computer (just continue to use our laptop that we had to purchase for business)
    and several more items like this that will save several hundred dollars. Thank you for sharing, I love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the photo of your kids.. FANTASTIC...
    I have had a frugal week.. stayed home, and out of the stores.ha..
    I did find a great buy on some smoke sausage to add to the freezer..
    Have a great week..God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Using up the pantry goods is such a good idea. We keep buying new groceries but we really need to tighten our belts and just eat what we already have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Julie S,
    It does help to do so. It can leave money available for other needs.
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you, Judy! Enjoy your Sunday.
    L

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you Gina. All these things do add up.
    Blessings,
    L

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was $1.74 here today, Vickie. I just hope it doesn't go over $2.00 again.
    I hope to visit friends on the other side of the state and my grandma in Dallas this month.l
    Blessings,
    Laura

    Blessings to you from our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ,

    Laura Lane
    Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Linda, We have a restaurant at Precious Moments Chapel Visitor's Center in Missouri. It's closed right now. It will reopen in March.
    Blessings to you! Thanks for talking back.
    L

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mending is a lost art so good for you. I enjoyed reading all you have been doing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Why thank you, Living on Less Money. I hope you have a lovely frugal week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you had a great frugal week..... we do many frugal things in our home also... and it just becomes a habit, which is nice. Sometimes I think that I wasn't so frugal on a certain week, but then I realize that actually, I didn't do some EXTRA frugal thing that week, but I tend to live frugal almost all of the time, without thinking about it. :) I suspect you do also. How good to review it. Thank you for the post... :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's nice to see a photo of your children and wonderful to see they hug with being told, that is great. Thanks for sharing your frugal ways at Good Morning Mondays. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  15. They also love to sing Disney songs spontaneously and quote extensively, Terri.

    ReplyDelete
  16. People don't do a lot of mending now days, but I still do to. You are the thrifty queen! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor