Welcome to another thrifty week at Harvest Lane Cottage. I am honored by your visit. Each week I share my thrifty and frugal projects, ways of saving money, and my blessings from God.
I am so glad you dropped in for a visit today—or tonight!
It's been a rather challenging week here at the cottage. You may have read last week that my old van has been declared irreparable. It had about 240,000 miles on it—most of which I've put on in the last four years. It's served me well. I prayed over it regularly, and God kept it going longer than the mechanic expected. Now to wait and pray for a replacement.
As you can imagine, it's been a different kind of week here. Fortunately, my son started his full-time summer job, and my Emily is away at camp this month, so I don't have nearly so many places to go as usual. It's been good to be home, but it's an adjustment.
God knows I need a vehicle before school starts so that Emily will be able to get to her college classes. I'll just have to see what He does.
I love it when y'all leave comments, so I can meet you and see your blogs, too.
Here's my thrifty week:
- Saturday morning I chopped up some little smokies that my dad gave me and an onion and sauteed them. I then mixed them with scrambled eggs and a little leftover shredded cheddar. Yum!
- Sunday at church a dear family friend gave his old truck to my Michael! Now he has a way to get to work. Praise God!
- We ate bean burritos for Sunday lunch. Here's my refried bean recipe. If you don't want to go to the trouble to make beans from scratch, you could try my black bean quickie burritos. Just scroll down, they're in my Thrifty Week #8 post.
- We ate leftover burritos Tuesday.
- PBJ for a couple of lunches.
- My washer broke, so I've been washing 2 loads of laundry per day by hand. Then my daughter puts them in the washer for the spin cycle. It's a great blessing that it still works. I find it takes me about an hour to wash one load of clothes by hand. Two hours a day is a lot, but I don't really have money for the laundromat right now. I'm praying God will make a way to have a working washing machine. In the meantime, the ache in my arm muscles is proof of a good workout. ~grin~
- I made a list called God Help. I'm going to pray over the list. I need God to fix these nineteen problems that I cannot. Yep! A working van and a working wash machine are on the list. ~grin~
A Startling Update!
This afternoon, I received a call from a local appliance dealer.
Someone bought and paid for a washing machine for me!
The lady wouldn't tell me who it was, but she gave me a hint.
She said if I do anything online, say thank you.
I talked with my husband, and we think the blog is the only place it was mentioned online. So...
FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART
DEAR ANONYMOUS BLESSER!
You just can't know how this has touched my heart.
My hands, arms, and back thank you as well!
What are you doing in your home this week?
...doing what I can with what I've got
where I am on a short shoestring budget!