Friday, July 13, 2018

Thrifty Things Lately at Harvest Lane Cottage #130

Thrifty Things Lately at Harvest Lane Cottage!

I don't know about you, but I need to save money, be thrifty and frugal, get projects done, and be thankful for my blessings from God. Perhaps things that my family has done lately give you a few ideas; then you can share your thrifty ways with me!

~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~
Dear Readers,
Wow! July is speeding by like a bottle rocket! My girls have been super busy, and I've been driving a lot. That makes days go fast. 

Yesterday I puppy sat, because the heat index was well over a hundred. Not my kind of summer! Having a puppy in the house is much different than having my four year old Penny in the house. Little Nala waited until I turned my back, then she started investigating our kitchen trash can. I picked up the trash and gave her a little food. She gobbled it! 

She and Penny then spent at least fifteen minutes barking non-stop at each other. They've only met a couple times before. Each was leashed in opposite sides of the house, but they could see and hear each other. I went to answer the phone. Nala found the oatmeal container on a low shelf. She decorated the kitchen and dining room floors before I returned a few minutes later! Let's just say it was a busy day. I worked on training Nala not to bark in the house, and Penny not to bark at Nala!  I began to understand why grandparents like to be able to send the children home. I was tired!

Well, that's just a bit of what's been going on around here. It's been fair week and art camp week. Next week will be the second art camp week and my last treatment week. Praise God I am here to write about it!

I'd love it if you'd tell me what you've been doing in your home. I need some new ideas as summer goes into it's hottest weeks.

~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~
Here's how my family has been thrifty lately.
  • My daughter, Amy of Hands Made to Love, made some delicious homemade chicken noodle soup with a chicken a friend gave us. 
  • We're still using up what we have on hand for meals. We're buying a few things to fill in the gaps. The deep freeze is probably only half full now. We'll be able to defrost it in a few weeks. 
  • My Amy and I had queso, chips, and salsa for lunch one day. Total $8 with tip. Not bad for a mini date.
  • I've made a bit of progress on my first shawl, Reyna. I am still having a bit of trouble with it. My stitch counts are off again. I've tinked a bit. That's knitting backward to take out the stitches.
  • I've been filling out surveys with Survey Junkie. I make far more than I did with Swagbucks. I've been using the Amazon credit to purchase knitting needles and supplies. I'm saving up Amazon gift card credit for this set of knitting needles. I know $110 is a lot of money, but these are excellent needles with flexible no memory cables. It will keep me from having to buy a new set of needles every time I begin a new project. I'll just keep saving up credit. I can be very patient!

  • We use mismatched white plates that I've collected from yard sales and from gifts of odd leftover plates from a friend. I started this, because kids tend to break dishes. I couldn't keep a set. It works fine even if we have guests.
  • My husband repurposed an old desk. He put it in the living room and set up his mini-office there. That gets him out of the dining room and away from distractions. Our dining room is in the middle of our house, and everyone passes through all day. It beats $300 for a small office downtown. 

  • My Amy volunteered to be an intern at art camp. She received a bag with some nice little gifts including a $5 gift card. She was happy. Here she is ready to go to work. 

  • Amy will get to participate in some of the activities with the students at no charge. Happier still!
  • You can see in the photos that we live in a humble home, but I am thankful for it. It's a gift from the LORD. We're all good at showing our best on Facebook, Instagram, and blogs. Keeping it real here. ~smile~
  • My daughter, Emily, put gel nails on for me using a Revlon Gel Nail kit that her father and I gave her for Christmas. They lasted two weeks! I had trouble removing them, so I may not do this at home again. I enjoyed them while they lasted though.
  • I am still knitting my Fiddly Bits infinity scarf. I like the way the colors are combining. I'm not sure yet what I'll wear it with, but it will be a fun accessory. I'll share a photo soon.
  • I've been using a broken phone for a couple of weeks. It is a slide phone. The hinges broke, so it's been held together with a hair elastic. The phone stopped working, and it now only texts. Tap tap tap for every letter style texting!  I made do cheerfully. My daughter just got a deal on a new phone. My husband set her old slide phone up for me! I'm happy! It was my son's before it was hers. It should last me awhile. It's pretty beat up looking, but hey, no extra charge! 
  • My health deductible is met, and insurance is paying my medical bills. Major blessing! 
  • My daughter, Amy also of Tea with Miss Poetry, crocheted a hat for a new baby that is due in August. That is, if it is a girl! Her friend won't tell!
  • I made some ant poison. My desk and my kitchen counter have been invaded. I don't have $70 extra to call the pest control man, so I'm doing it myself. Hopefully, the little buggers will share with their nest mates. I made 1/6 of a recipe since it makes so much. Here are my measurements for 1/6 of the ant poison recipe. Just mix it all together and put it on cotton balls. See the pin below for more details.  1/6 cup of sugar, 1 1/2 t Borax, 1/2 cup warm water. Keep it away from pets and children. Borax is toxic!



My husband made this video.
There are still ants coming the next morning!

What have you done in your home this week?
~~~~~
♥♥♥
May you make the best of what you've got however much or little! 
 When we are faithful in little, God sees it.

ღLauraღ
...doing what I can with what I've got
where I am on a shoestring budget!
~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~


Thank you all for writing to me. I read every comment.

Blogger is currently having issues with notifying bloggers of comments by email.  It is therefore difficult to respond.  

I will respond on the blog as I have time. You may subscribe to comments to see when I or others respond.
  
God bless you all!
 Laura
~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~

7 comments:

  1. We have had really good results using the Raid ant traps and a box is around $5. The only way for us to get rid of them for sure is to find where they are living in or near the foundation of the house and kill them outside. The ant traps work quite well outside too but boric acid works very well just sprinkled on the mound or where they are coming and going. I saw one ant in my kitchen last week and now I am on guard.

    We have had a quiet week at home and been prayerful for so many who are sick and hurting right now. We have not been to any stores but I did get a great deal on replacement pillows from Macys' with free shipping and I ordered and sent birthday gifts to out oldest granddaughter using our Amazon Prime so that I don't have to pay shipping from here.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, try boiling water on those little buggers -- you'll kill a lot of them right away, and hopefully they'll carry the borax solution to their nest (and kill the rest).
    I enjoy reading your posts, but rarely comment. Do please keep telling us about yours and your family's lives --

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura,
    When we didn’t have a dog, I mixed equal parts of borax and sugar and put it in the ant hills in the yard, it worked on them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura, still no internet so I'm phone plucking. That's why I don't post often. Big pain! Ants...Terro is our go-to. A friend recommended it and we haven't called pest control since. Still praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My that little rascal of a puppy kept you busy! My how Amy is growing! She is such a pretty young lady.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura, let us know if that ant poison works please. We've been clearing out and getting ready to do some painting to put our house up for sale. I have my mother-in-law's papers and possessions to deal with along with my own. I've been telling everyone to get rid of your old stuff and don't leave it for someone else to deal with. It has been a month since she passed and it is going slow as my 95 father-in-law is grieving more now than when she first passed. He needs attention now more than ever and there is so much to get done in closing accounts and dealing with insurance issues as well as my husband's health issues. We plan to buy a house with two master bedrooms so we can move my father in law in with us and be able to keep a closer eye on him. His assisted living facility is dropping the ball just when we need them. Sorry! I sound like a bad country song. I try to remind myself that this too shall pass.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have been a very busy lady and I am so happy that you are just about done with your treatments...YAY!!!!! I love your home and I can so relate since we also have a humble home, but I am so grateful for it and for the fact that it is paid off in full now. God is good!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor