Saturday, February 26, 2022

A Thrifty Week #175 and #176

 

 Hello dear reader! I forgot to publish my post last week! So, I decided to combine the posts this week. So, this is really a Thrifty Things Lately post. I want to share each week, but sometimes, the week just gets away from me—especially now that I'm working part-time again. I think I'll give that some thought.  

~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~

  • Our Superbowl party was potluck. The one man who truly cared who won was happy with the results. 
  • My dentist filled my chipped tooth when I went in for a cleaning. That saved about half.
  • We washed our clothes only if they looked or smelled dirty to save on the laundromat. It really helps clothes last longer also. Washers and dryers are hard on the fabrics.
  • We bought a washing machine! Praise God we saved and bought it with cash. No payments means no interest and more financial freedom. 
  • We used the last of our "laundromat quarters" to splurge on a couple $5.99 pizzas to celebrate! My daughter received a $3 credit for our next pizza purchase... if we use it, that is!
  • I picked up a couple of days of work at the elementary school. I worked as a para with special ed students. I liked it.
  • I packed my lunch from home both days.
  • Made a delicous homemade chicken broccoli mushroom rice soup with 2 chicken breasts cut up and sauteed, 2 cups of frozen broccoli cut up, about 4 oz of sliced mushrooms, 3 cups of instant rice, and 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup. Oh, and about 6 Knorr boullion cubes and water to cover it all. It made a bit over a gallon of soup. We fed four with plenty of leftovers. I sauteed the chicken, removed it from the pan, deglazed it with hot water, then added all the other ingredients. I brought it to a boil and then simmered it for twenty or thirty minutes. I put the chicken back in about 15 minutes before serving. 
  • I downloaded an audiobook from Scribd to listen to while driving.

You know, I didn't do a lot this week. I was busy with other things, but you know what? Every bit counts. Some weeks I'm doing very frugal things. Some weeks I'm good if I don't spend money! This doesn't have the look the same for you as it does for me, and it doesn't have to look the same every week. Just...

Do what you can
with what you've got
where you are.

President Teddy Roosevelt

Week 175 starts here
  • A sweet blog friend sent a wonderful gift. Thank you T! I'll be writing soon. 
  • My husband and I went on a fun date. The activity was playing with puppies at his client's pet store. They were all in one area, and we went in and petted and cuddled and enjoyed them. One was especially sweet, and I prayed for a great home for him. We also hit a few thrift stores. We scored a nearly complete set of white dishes that match some odd white plates I had at home for only $10.
  •  Sunday the 20th was National Muffin Day. I made a new oatmeal muffin recipe, but it didn't go over well. There was no flour in it, so it was supposed to be healthier. They just fell apart. Oh well. The thrifty part is that I ate a few mini muffins this morning with milk over them like granola. They were good that way! Waste not!


  • Sunday's afternoon entertainment was a walk in the park with my husband and my dog. When we moved here in 1992, we lived just a few blocks from this park. I often brought my toddler to walk and to slide. I told him that the tiny flowers in the grass were blessing flowers. Only those who walked enjoyed the blessing of seeing them.
  • Monday morning, I had the day off for President's Day. I gathered the leftover rolls from last week and made croutons. ~smile~ See the recipe and photos on my Instagram page.
  • Sunday was National Muffin Day. I made a new oatmeal muffin recipe, but it didn't go over well with the family. There was no flour in it, so it was supposed to be healthier. Unfortunately, they didn't hold together. Everyone tried one, then they just sat there on the counter. Oh well. I ate a few mini muffins Monday  morning with milk over them like granola. They were good that way. Use it up!
  • I used up part of a cabbage that was getting wilty. I made a hamburger, onion, and cabbage soup.
  • I harvested buttons and elastic from a couple of garments that were beyond repair.
  • I sewed buttons on two dresses that have been in my mending pile for weeks. They're house dresses now, because they're faded. But hey, they're comfortable. They wouldn't look bad to go to the grocery store, they're just not "best foot forward". ~smile~ They help extend the life of my "good" clothes. That's a money saver.
  • I received Revolution in World Missions for review in the mail. It's good! I read the first 75 pages last evening. You can get your free copy here. This would be great for any Christian. I would have read it to my kids when I was homeschooling, too. 
  • I made banana bread with almost gone bananas. This was also National Banana Bread Day, but I forgot to tell the family. Oh well.  ~smile~
  • We picked up just a few things we needed and skipped the big shopping trip this week.
  • We saved on gas, because we were iced in! School was canceled, so I didn't sub Wednesday or Thursday. 
~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~

Last week, I was asked to sub long-term until a new para can be hired for the position I'm filling. I gave it some thought. It means a big change in my lifestyle for a little while. I decided to take the position for this week, then give them a final answer. By the time I publish this post, I'll have a decision to share.  ~smile~
The decision: I've decided that I will take the position for as long as it lasts. I just adore the kids and enjoy helping them grasp simple concepts. It's K-3 special ed. I'm teaching reading, writing, and math skills on a very basic level. 

All this to say, I may not have as many thrifty things going on at home for a few weeks. We'll see how much time and energy I have available. ~smile~

~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~
By the way, we paid cash for a washer last week. I love having a washer at home! Thank you to the ladies who recently sent donations.

~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~

So tell me now, what are you doing in your home?


♥♥♥♥♥


 Be strong and courageous, do not give in to fear.
 This is the time to get in God's word and pray. 


God is ever good and ever faithful.
I've been through many tough times in my life. 
God never lets me down. 
I can trust Him. 
You can trust Him.

Laura
Blessed to be a blessing

Do you like my blog?
Please share!



Find me online here:

Laura Lane on Goodreads
2022 7 Finished Books Goal 51
HarvestLaneLaura  on Ravelry
@lauraofharvestlane on Instagram
PayPal donations to laura@harvestlanecottage.com
Address available by email


7 comments:

  1. All sounds great. YAY on the new washer and no debt.
    How wonderful to have the opportunity to be a special person in children's lives! I applaud you.
    Your date sounds divine!!!!!
    Blessings my friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your new job! I think the blessing will outweigh everything else! I am so glad to hear you have your new washer just in time for your new job and less time. God knew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thrilled that you have been able to get a job that you love and such wonderful news on the washer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Laura! And I'm so happy you like your new job. I have a special needs granddaughter, and believe me, you will make a difference...they are easy to love! You have some really fabulous ways to be thrifty, and I plan on using many of them. I love that you paid for your washer with cash! Have a blessed Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wishing you the best in your new temporary position! They're lucky to have you. :)

    I've made oatmeal muffins in the past, and I agree, they didn't hold together well at all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know you'll be a great teacher. You've done a fantastic job raising your kids and I would be honored to have you teaching mine if I had any! I've been praying daily for you and your family since you first posted the news of your cancer diagnosis. Praise God that you have recovered! God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone! Thank you so much for praying for me, too. I cannot believe it's been nearly five years since I found the lump. Strange how life can change in an instant.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor