Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Snowed In, Reading, and Knitting for the Yarn Along


I'm yarning along with Ginny at Small Things!
Click the picture above to see her blog and other participants.

I've been reading with the children and knitting today; because, it's been so snowy and cold here.  I'm on week five of being home all week.  We're snowed in right now; but, the only change that brings to me is that the kids can't get out and play as much.  It's been a big adjustment losing my freedom to go and do; but, it must be what's best for the season.  Someday, when God thinks I need a car again, I'll have a car again.  Until then, I'm doing my best to learn to be content at home.

 I'm joining with Ginny today in her Yarn Along.  Here's the progress on my first sock.


I'm using Paton's Kroy sock yarn in the denim jacquard colorway.  I've heard that it wears well.  I hope so.  I'm not looking forward to learning to darn!  The book is Story of the World Middle Ages by Susan Wise Bauer.  If you guessed that I'm reading it to the children, you're right. 

I still need to start a new read aloud with the kids to meet my Hearts for Home commitment for the week.  the trouble is that the kids are all reading aloud to us, too.  Just today, Emily started reading Job to us.  Her idea.  Michael started reading a Sugar Creek Gang book aloud.  Amy started reading A Year Down Yonder earlier this week.  I had to start with Story of the World; because, it's our homeschool history read aloud.  Now they're watching UP! for the first time.  Will I start something before bed?  I'm not sure.  We'll see how the rest of the night goes.

For now, I'm going to sneak in just a bit more knitting time!

11 comments:

  1. You're doing a super great job with the sock, Laura! I'd be afraid to start something like that at this point. Maybe someday! And I remember when my older children read the Sugar Creek Gang books. They loved them! Happy Knitting! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely understand only having one car. My husband and I sold one of ours, since the upkeep was becoming to expensive. I work from home and hardly ever go out. It has been an adjustment, and there have been times, when I thought it was too much, but after careful prayer and petition, I have realized, I don't need to eat out, I don't need to go shopping, and I have no reason to drive aimlessly about.

    It has definitely helped me become more of a homemaker, and a do-it-yourselfer.....

    Hope you have a great rest of your evening....stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had the blessing of teaching 2 sweet young ladies from church how to start knitting over the past few weeks. It is such a comforting past-time, and gives me such a feel of connection to our past and our American crafting history. I love seeing the projects you are working on! :-) Thanks for posting:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to love reading out loud to my kids. Now they are teens they aren't so keen...they like to read themselves or they are busy doing their own thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the yarn and its colors are gorgeous. One day I will graduate from knitting washcloths to actually knitting socks! I would love to pull on a pair during these cold winter days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm using Paton's Kroy to knit my February socks and I love it. I knitted my very first pair of socks ever with same. It does wear well. Stay cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear your snowed in! At least it's a good excuse for cosy knitting and reading days.
    The socks are coming along nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Laura, Thank you for your kind words on my blog today! Your knitting is lovely, so cosy! :)

    Keep warm and contented,
    Love, Tina xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds cozy! And I'm praying for you my friend, all in his time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was wondering if you have any ideas for little ones. My oldest two live with their dad and he put them in a really good private school. I have 3 more little boys ages 3,2,1 that I'm at a loss with. We can't spend too much time outside thanks to the weather and we need stuff to do. I plan on homeschooling them, although I have no idea when or how to begin. My 3 yr old loves books, but my 2 yr old likes to tear them. I'm not really sure what kinds of things to do with them so any suggestions would be welcome.

    Andie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your sock is coming along, and I love the color choice.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor