Tuesday, April 2, 2019

My Rather Ambitious Spring Reading List 2019 with Updates



Here is my rather lengthy and ambitious Spring reading list. Do I have time to sit around and read all the time? Absolutely not! Do I read more when I use snatched moments when I'm waiting for this or that? Absolutely!  Use your moments even if you wish for hours.  I have also found that I can use the text-to-speech feature on my Kindle Fire or listen to some audio books on Scribd while I work or knit. I probably use the audio option as much as the book option these days.



ON MY READING PILE,
IN MY KINDLE,
IN MY SCRIBD.

I listened to this on Scribd.
All done.

30 Days to Understanding the Bible
Max Anders
Reading and studying it slowly.
I've packed this away for the move.


Listened on Scribd.
Click for 2 month free trial.

Riveting.
Well worth your time.
All done.

I am glad I read this! It was fascinating!
Did you know that Louisa May Alcott's 
family was friends with Waldo Emerson,
Henry David Thoreau, and Nathaniel Hawthorne?
Her father Bronson Alcott was a Transcendentalist
and was anti-slavery. 
Fascinating Newbery Medal book from 1934.
All done.

This is our April and May
book club selection. I'm listening on Scribd, 

because I cannot find my copy!
I finished the first half that ends with 
Meg's engagement for the April meeting.
I just finished the rest of the book for the May meeting.

Still looking forward to this gem from
one of my favorite authors—
Karen Andreola.

I listened to this on my Kindle Fire.
I used the text-to-speech feature.

It's perfect for listening when I do not
have internet connection.
All done.

I need to read a book published the year I was born.
I chose The Phantom of Pine Hill.
We read lots of Nancy Drew

and Hardy Boys books aloud when the kids were young.
I read this one all by myself. All done.
Wondering?
1965

I borrowed this through inter-library loan.
It started a bit slow, but I've read the first section now.
I'm hooked!
The trouble is that someone had put a hold on the book
 and I had to return it. After returning it, I put a hold on it again right away.
Now I have to wait. 


My friend, Kathriann, loaned this to me.
It was just a fun little book to pass the time.
All done.

I'm listening to this with my daughter.
It's one of her history texts for this year.

I listened to this on my Kindle Fire
using the text-to-speech feature.

It's pretty hard-hitting.
All done.
I'll read this one again.

Bible Faith Study Course
Kenneth E. Hagin


I will finish this book this spring! I've been working my way through this one for a long time, but I have learned so very much that helped me through my cancer battle. Each time I pick Bible Faith up, I tend to re-read notes and highlighted portions before I read more. It slows my progress. I'm picking it up a few times a week.



The New Testament

I've been reading the New Testament in the Geneva Bible version since the beginning of the year. I use Bible.com to keep track of what I've read, and sometimes use BibleGateway.com to listen instead of read. 

Matthew
Mark 
Luke 
John
Acts
Romans 
1 Corinthians
2 Corinthians
Galatians
Ephesians
Colossians
1 Thessalonians
2 Thessalonians
1 Timothy
2 Timothy
Titus
Philemon
Hebrews
James
1 Peter
2 Peter
1 John
2 John
3 John
Jude 
Revelation


I signed up for a free trial of Scribd. It's a service where you can read or listen to books for just $8.99 a month with no limit.  My free trial will end in April. I already plan to keep the plan. My daughter and I are using it for school and for pleasure. We especially like the extensive list of audio books. Take a look. If you sign up from this link, you can get a two free months trial.  I've completed 5 books so far on audio.



If you'd like to keep up with my reading progress,
you can follow me on Goodreads
I update my progress
regularly.
Laura Lane



Shared at The Homemaking Party 


16 comments:

  1. i really love all you helpful hints! I enjoy reading your posts… Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much and you're welcome, too. Do drop in again.
      Laura

      Delete
  2. I LOVE Joshua's book, "The More of Less." It is amazing and goes right along with how God has led my family and me these past few years. You will get a lot of good from that book. He has a new book out, too, that he mailed to me. I don't have much time to read, but I am picking it up as I have time and feel like it. It is very good, also. It is called, "The Minimalist Home." Very good stuff. (No pun intended!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl,
      I'm listening on Scribd. It inspires me to clean and declutter both! I hope to read the next book, too, but I'll have to get it from library loan.
      Hugs,
      Laura

      Delete
  3. WOW! What an inspiring reading list. Hope you get to read all of them.
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's it like to be married to me?

    That. Is quite a title.

    It really makes you think, doesn't it?

    So many things are said in that question. In our modern world I think it would be a good idea to ask this... Our modern world seems to get the important things so very wrong, marriage being one of them.

    I haven't read the book. This is the first I've heard of it. But the question alone says to me, "How is he doing?" rather than our modern world's "What about ME?"

    Firey words, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LAUra, I love your Nancy Drew selection! During the summer, I always read my favorite childhood books. I've cycled through so many over the years and started my Nancy Drew books last summer. I have them so I don't have to hunt them down. I intend to start where I left off come July! Since I haven't read them in some 40 something years, I never remember who did it!!

    Happy reading, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got an ambitious reading list this year too---50 books in 50 weeks. Not sure I will get there, but it's worth a shot.

    Little Women is my all-time favorite read. Like you, I will be enjoying it this year.

    I love Karen Andreola's books. Her Charlotte Mason Companion and Pocketful of Pinecones were among my favorite books back in my homeschooling days. Mother Culture sounds like a lovely read. Even though my kids are grown and I no longer have little ones in my home, I will one day have grandchildren. I ought to read Mother Culture.

    Blessings,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked Pocketful of Pinecones, too. It's one of my favorite books. It sounds like like Mother Culture would be good for us, too, not just our little ones.
      That's why I want to read it Patti.
      Blessings,
      Laura

      Delete
  7. I would probably like the book by Becker. I love the idea of reading a book printed the year your were born. Awesome list. I am reading Agatha Christie classics collections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to a Nancy Drew book. I haven't read one in years. I've never read Agatha Christie.
      Be blessed,
      Laura

      Delete
  8. Hi Laura,
    I read one of Lynn Austins's books last year titled 'All Things New'. It remains one of my favourite books I've ever read. I just checked it out of the library, but it was so good I would love to have my own copy of it. I've also read a couple of A.H Gabharts books..well I actually own all of the Shaker novels she wrote and another one titled 'These Healing hills' I really appreciate her writing. Although I'm not very interested in her mystery books. This post prompted me to visit her website and oh my !!! she has a new Shaker novel available for pre order..woo hoo :) I'm doing a happy dance. Okay okay, catch my breath and to close my long comment, I love the look of the book: The Penderwicks :) Thanks for sharing your reading list goals. Reading..what a JOY ! Blessings to you Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda,
      It's so good to hear from you. I'll be by to see your blog in just a bit. I'm so glad you found about the new book. I've already put the next Penderwicks book on my to read list for next season. Enjoy your fall!
      Be blessed,
      Laura

      Delete
  9. Oooh, I really do like Brad Meltzer---and that's not at all a genre I usually read. I didn't realize he had this out. I'll have to look for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Mr.. Meltzer's book is new. I've never read this genre, but I heard about this book on one of the conservative talk shows. I look forward to reading it.
      Hugs,
      Laura

      Delete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor