Tuesday, May 21, 2019

We Bought a House!



Hello everyone,
 Thank you so much for being patient with me lately. My husband's knee surgery was a great success. He is already walking around without a cane. His leg still hurts, but he's improving steadily.

 The other big news is that we bought a house... in town!  We had been looking outside of town on and off for a few months. We finally decided to quit looking, because Lowell was about to have his surgery, and we knew the timing was bad.

 God had other ideas. ~smile~ One morning, about six or seven weeks ago, our realtor sent Lowell a text—at 6;00 a.m. He told me, look at these pictures. Since I'd been up until 2:00 a.m. writing, I said, "No." About twenty minutes later, he said, "Get dressed. We're going to go look at this house at 7:15 a.m.!" Ugh!

  As I was brushing my teeth, the thought crossed my mind that this was the house. Mind you, we had looked at a lot of houses. I believe it was a God thought.

  We met the realtor, and the very first thing I noticed was the tulip tree in the front yard in full bloom. Just the previous day, my Amy (Hands Made to Love) told me that she wanted a tulip tree someday. That brought my second thought that this was the place.

  We looked around inside, and it was very nice. Sensible nice. Not over-the-top fancy nor run-down looking. The original hardwood floors had been recently refinished. The walls had been painted a blue-grey—not my color, but it all looks fresh and nice. The kitchen was very nice, too. There are lots of cabinets in the kitchen, in the utility room, in the main bathroom (there are 2!), and in the garage workroom. I think we may finally have the chance for everything to have a place and everything in its place! There are three bedrooms (we raised our kids in a 2 bedroom house), and two bathrooms. Oh the luxury! Our girls are already decorating their bedrooms.

  I got ahead of myself. As we were looking, the realtor and Lowell asked me what I thought. I couldn't find anything that looked like a problem to me. That surprised them. I have had reservations about every house we've looked at. Even the price seemed fine.

 Lowell went outside and noticed the lady across the street driving in. She said hi first. Gasp! ~smile~ Lowell went over to talk to her. I followed. I found that she was quite friendly, a Christian, and she knew a bit about the neighbors and neighborhood. She and I stood there and talked a bit, then suddenly, I remembered I had the realtor waiting for me at the house. Did I mention that I'm friendly?

  As I walked through the house, I had a sense that this neighborhood was our assignment. That we were being sent there. That was my third God thought. I called my son who is familiar with the area, he said that it is one of the safest and best neighborhoods in town. That was important to me since we haven't lived in town in many years.

  Believe it or not, we were at the house an hour and a half. We made an offer before 9 a.m.  OH, did I mention that it had been on the market less than 12 hours?

  Well, we closed last Friday. We've been trying to prepare to move. We took over a trailer full of things on Sunday. Monday morning I woke up at the old house and realized that the food was here and the pots, pans, toaster, everything like that are at the new house waiting in the garage to be unpacked!

  So anyway, this is why I've not been writing. There's been so much sorting and cleaning, and packing to be done in addition to regular life. We're only moving about six miles away, but things still have to be moved safely. We hope to finish moving the furniture and anything that cannot go in the car this weekend. After living here almost ten years, there's a lot to do!

  You may not hear a lot from me over the next couple of weeks, but I hope that by mid-June I will be back to writing regularly. Thank you again for your patience. You've been wonderfully faithful. God bless you all!

Laura
a bit unnerved by the chaos!


52 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new home! You will love having two bathrooms. LOL!

    It's wonderful that they have finished the original hardwood floors. They make a home so cozy.

    Enjoy your new adventure!
    Sallie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sallie. I'm truly excited. I've got a long day ahead of me packing and cleaning. God is good.

      Delete
  2. THIS IS SO EXCITING!!! Congratulations to you and your husband! Isn't God so good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Penny, God is very very GOOD! I feel so blessed. It's the nicest house I've ever had the opportunity to call ours. I hope to open it regularly once I get things settled in.

      Be blessed,
      Laura

      Delete
  3. I am so excited for you Laura. What a great find, but God is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is! He is! Now for the hard work of moving!

      Delete
  4. That's a cute place! In the mist of chaos stop to enjoy the moments as you make this house a home. I'm super happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone gave me a nice candle for my birthday last week. I'm going to light it as I work and play some nice music. I still get tired easily, so I'm going to take short knitting breaks, too!
      It's so nice to hear from you Wendi.
      Laura

      Delete
  5. Squealing with delight!!! I am so happy for you!! Apologies for not visiting--this semester has kept me busy, I had one semester left after this one, but decided to take the extra semester because of the senior capstone project...anyways---you have been in my prayers. smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Linda,
      Don't worry a bit about not visiting. I've not been visiting much either. It's been a busy season. I'm glad you've been able to pursue your aspirations. I hope that you get to enjoy your summer.
      Hugs,
      Laura

      Delete
  6. Congratulations! I'm so happy for you. I'm also glad to hear that your husband is doing well after his surgery. I've been praying for both of you. God truly is great!
    BaggysMom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I do appreciate the prayers. God is taking good care of us. Be blessed, Laura

      Delete
  7. How wonderful! Congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! WOW! Totally a God thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am thrilled for you. Hope you manage to move in and get sorted quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to do my best. As I look around me at the old house, there's a lot to do. Not even considering the work at the new house yet!

      Delete
  10. It's beautiful! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Debby. It has central air! We have window air in the old house. It's going to be nice this summer.

      Delete
  11. Oh I just love your sweet house! God is so awesome isn't He? Enjoy fussing and arranging and such! Now I must think up a lovely housewarming present! Much love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle. You're a doll. There really is a lot to do in setting up housekeeping in a new home. Be blessed dearie.
      Laura

      Delete
  12. Congratulations to you and yours Laura! I have a God-feeling you are perfect for the house and it's perfect for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dearie. It's a new era for my Lowell and me.

      Delete
  13. Congratulations to you and your family on the new house! It doesn't matter how much or how little time you have to prepare for a move; moving from one house to another is chaotic and exhausting. What a blessing God has given you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Frances. You're right about time. I need to just buckle down and do it with frequent breaks. ~smile~ I've just stolen some early morning time at the computer first!
      Blessings,
      Laura

      Delete
  14. Congratulations on your new Home! I can't wait to see pictures of the inside. Have fun and I'm glad you are both doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being my blog friend. I'll share some photos soon Regina. I still forget that my Lowell gave me one of the new fancy phones that take photos.
      Feeling blessed here!
      Laura

      Delete
  15. Dearest Laura, What a wonderful blessing to you and your dear family!! I am super happy for you! It looks lovely... Can't wait to see and hear more about all your plans! Hugs, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ​Dear Roxy,
      It's all so new, I haven't even made the plans yet! My Lowell is self-employed, and the mortgage company made him jump through lots of hoops. Not an easy feat when you just had knee surgery! Tee hee.
      I'm sure I'll be sharing more about plans and photos, too, soon. It takes a lot to make a house a home.
      Enjoy the cool before the hot of summer my dear.
      Laura​

      Delete
  16. Deb (formerly of Carthage, MO)now in FLMay 22, 2019 at 5:07 AM

    Congratulations! And a garage too! Sooo happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember the room at the back of your house in Carthage? We'll have a room like that, too. It's got windows all around, and it's got ac/heat, too. Now that's exciting. The computer won't have to sit in the dining room. I'll share photos soon. Wish you could be here.
      Hugs,
      Laura

      Delete
    2. I'm just so happy for you. That's awesome, our room didn't have a/c and the heat was not reliable! You are such a blessing! Miss you!

      Delete
  17. Congratulations, Laura! Your new home looks wonderful. What a blessing to have a tulip tree, and so many signs that this was the Lord's plan for your family. I hope your moving and settling in goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sarah. I'm already finding that moving is hard work mentally as well as physically. Where to put everything can be a bit overwhelming. ~smile~

      Happy today!
      Enjoy little J. She's growing up so fast.

      Laura

      Delete
  18. Dear friend, I do not look like much, but I am always present in your things.
    You can not imagine the joy it gives me to see you so well and so excited for your new home, the truth is that changing homes is exciting.
    I do not forget to have you in my prayers and the joy that gives me to see you so well and so happy.
    God is always at our side and takes care of you with love.
    A hug!!!
    Dolores

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, PRAISE GOD!!! It did my heart good to see you and Lowell standing there in front of your beautiful home!! To think of all God has brought you through over the past few years and to see the wonderful outcome is just awe-inspiring! We serve an awesome God who can do exceeding abundantly above all we can ask or think, and He surely does keep His word of giving us the desires of our hearts when we delight ourselves in Him. Things can look so hopeless, then all of a sudden, He turns everything around and makes all things new for us. He is so faithful. I am just rejoicing right along with you and trusting God to continue to pour out His richest blessings upon you and your family!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your picture says a thousand words, it exudes happiness & I'm thrilled for you & your family Laura. I pray you all the best with your move & happy memory making in your lovely new home. God's Blessings, Ruth
    ps. yes, it 'looks' like you are meant to be there 😊

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations on your new home! Isn't it just wonderful when the Lord works like this? May you and your family have many a blessing in this lovely new abode!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulation, Laura! I'm so happy for you and your family! You deserve this happiness. Have fun arranging and rearranging! lol!! I have a confession: I was crying while reading this post...and they were all tears of joy. You see, I subscribe to your blog and realized that you have not posted in a while. Well, with all the severe storms in the Midwest, and of course you writing about being so close to Joplin when they were served up a tornado, my hands were shaking as I opened your blog. I prayed that you were not away due to this round of storms all over the middle of the U.S. (and more to come) with power outages, etc. And then read this news! You cannot imagine how over-joyed I was!! Eager to hear more about your home! The happiness in your words is very comforting:) and thank you, for sharing them with us!
    God is good. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations Laura on the house. Wishing you and yours a world of happiness,love and blessings in your new home.
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations! God is good, all the time! Enjoy your new home!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh I'm so excited for you Laura, this home looks be-a-utiful!!! I've moved enough times in my life to understand how overwhelming it can be at times, with all the decisions about where to put things ... it will cause sleepless nights. I'll keep you in my prayers.
    Blessings to you ~ Linda

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats. It's beautiful.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am so very happy for you. The new home sounds perfect, and besides that it's a pretty place. Isn't it funny how you just know when it's the right thing. You two are going to be busy for a while. Can't wait to see pictures. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations!!! We are walking that road of looking too and asking God to put us where we can do some good. I am stoked that you found yours! (I am terrified of having to move. But. I think the terror will go away when we find the right house.)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Laura
    Delighted that you have found such a lovely home. I look forward to your future home planning posts. Its been a tough time for you all but God has led you to this wonderful home.
    God bless you and yours

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello! Do you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you
    if that would be ok. I'm absolutely enjoying your blog and look forward to new posts.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hey very nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  32. good news all over.. let the good tidings continue to wave
    Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh my goodness Laura, how very exciting! Yay! I am so happy for you and your family. What an amazing blessing!!
    So glad to hear Lowell's surgery went well and he's walking without a cane.
    I hope you have a wonderful Summer and I look forward to catching up through your blog!

    Hugs to you,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor