Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Laura Lately ~ A Thrifty Week at Harvest Lane Cottage #180

 A little late but....


Here are some things I did  this past week.

In the Kitchen


  • Cut up a few apples that were past their prime, added cinnamon, brown sugar, and a little orange juice. I simmered it down to make an oatmeal topping.
  • I made sourdough waffles again.
  • I kept feeding my starter "Doughy".
  • On the way home from church, we saw a boy selling blueberries at a stand in his front yard. We bought 4 pints for $10. I didn't realize what a deal that was until I saw blueberries for $5 a pint in the store!
  • I was out of all purpose flour, so I ground fresh wheat and fed it to Doughy.
  • I bought 12 lbs of butter for the freezer. I paid $3 a pound. I think that's the best I will see this summer. Milk was $4.59 a gallon at the same store. Yikes! I paid it but skipped $3.49 a dozen eggs.
  • I made a refreshing blueberry lemonade.

Dinners

  • Saturday - salmon patties
  • Sunday - bison burgers made by my Lowell (They were a gift.)
  • Monday - beef burgers on the grill (This meat was a gift, too.)
  • Tuesday - macaroni, hamburger, and tomatoes 
  • Wednesday - Baked ham and carrots
  • Thursday - ham sandwiches 
  • Friday -date night... shared one meal at a nice restaurant... paid with a gift card 

In the Workbasket 

  • I cut up a beyond repair towel and made 15 cleaning rags. I just zigzagged around the edges. I used vintage thread from a wooden spool.  They will help my Emily get started in her new home.
  • I rehemmed a dress. It will last another year or more.
  • My knitting needles were busy with gift socks.

Books and Such
  • I downloaded a couple new audiobooks from ScribdAll Through the Night and The Healer's Apprentice. 


Out and About
  • Knitting with friends on Tuesday nights is a highlight of my week. Instead of buying a meal for dinner, I ordered a cup of queso and chips. I brought a cup from home and drank water, too.
  • I avoided getting out and about, because the heat index has been over 100 all week. The air conditioner in my 1989 car can't compete.
  • I made one early morning trip and did all my errands.  My daughter came along and I drove her car. Blessing!

I hope you had a terrific week!
Laura 


As you can see, I use Scribd a lot. You get unlimited ebooks and audio books plus sheet music, articles, and other reading materials for just one low price. $9.99 a month. You don't have to pay per book. It's all included in the one price. It's the best money I've spent this year!

If you use my link, you'll get a 2 month free trial of Scribd, and I will get a free month as well. I'm not an affiliate, it's just a neat perk that they have for their subscribers who tell their friends. I've earned 510 free days just sharing how much I love their service! You can, too.

8 comments:

  1. Blueberries sure are high priced this year. I am hoping our friends who invite us to pick them in their yard every summer remember us. I put them unwashed into canning jars and they keep super well in the freezer.

    I have a flannel sheet that needs to be made into rags soon. I think they will be nice and soft and absorbent. I am sure your Emily will enjoy her rags and think of you when she uses them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lana, I have some flannel that I am considering making some more bathroom "tinkle" wipes with. We shall see. It would be one way to save money on the less messy things. ~wink~ We did during the great toilet paper debacle of 2020. ~smile~ Hope you're having a great week!Laura

      Delete
  2. Hi Laura~ I am a firm believer in fermented everything, not only are they good for you, they are very thrifty, especially using fresh ground flour. I have a few old towels that I should make rags out of, such a great idea...thank you! Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm new to ferments, though I have tasted fermented pickles and Kombucha. There's plenty to learn. I think that my sourdough is about ready to try my first loaf of bread. Any advice for me?
      Blessings,
      Laura

      Delete
  3. Hello! Yep. Everything is crazy priced, isn't it? Milk is over $5 a gallon here! I don't see an end in sight. Anyway, I hope you are enjoying summer! Stay cool and cozy, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're getting close to $5 for milk. Crazy. I saw eggs for $3.49 or maybe $3.59 a dozen today. Wild! It's time for me to get back in the kitchen and get creative in a whole new way.

      Delete
  4. Hi Laura! Popping in to wish you a happy, blessed weekend. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor