Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Thrifty Knitting!

Hello everyone,

Perhaps you've seen every bit counts challenges around the internet lately. Those challenges embody the attitude of use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without. That's something that I have focused on quite a bit in the past, because frankly, I had no choice. I believe that those times are here again.

Many of you know that since my children are now grown and have graduated homeschool, I have been doing some substitute teaching. I am more convinced than ever that homeschooling is the best option for families that feel called to do it and who are willing to commit to God and to their children. 

You also may know that I took a long-term assignment teaching K-3 special ed kids. I just fell in love with the kids. And so when the school called me back in the fall for another long-term assignment, I accepted. They offered me the job full-time, but after prayer, talking with my husband and considering the implications for our health insurance, I chose to continue substituting. I love the flexibility of it. 

There is just something about K-3 that I really like. Strangely enough, my certification was for secondary English. I hadn't even thought of teaching small children.

I had the privilege of training my replacement when the full-time teacher was hired. That also gave me the opportunity to see just how much she cared for the children. I still think of them as my kids and visit. After 4 months of teaching them, I had a period of sadness that I wasn't going to see them everyday. So, I poured love and prayers into knitting for them.

While this was a very time consuming project, it was completely thrifty. My friend, Jill, gave me two big bags full of acrylic yarn. My knitting friends know that I like to be thrifty, and I like to do charity knitting. This time, I decided to knit striped hats for each of the children. It gave me a chance to use up small bits of yarn, which always makes me feel good since acrylic will outlive me, and to enjoy the scrappy process. 

I enjoy Helical or Helix knitting.  It's a great way to use up many small balls of yarn. It's also fun to watch the color patterns emerge. 











In the midst of all this hat knitting, I knit Christmas socks for my family as well. I knit four pairs of Lady socks and three size 13 pairs of men's socks. That was a lot of sock knitting! Nearly all of the yarn that I used was in my stash. The majority of my stash has been given to me by friends over the last few years. 

Can you believe I forgot to take photos when they were done?!

These are the Scrappy Socks that I made for myself. I finished them New Year's Eve. Well, I have just a few loose ends to weave in.


I finished 2022 with nothing on my needles. I'll share my first cast-ons of 2023 soon. Be sure to check out my Ravelry page. Link below. I'm determined to keep it up to date this year!

Be blessed! 
Happy new year.

Laura 
Happy at Home

P.S. I'm taking a break from Instagram and Facebook for a few days.

~~~~~

Find me online here:


Goodreads:  Laura Lane 
2022 I finished 55 of my 51 book goal.
Instagram: @lauraofharvestlane 
Ravelry:  HarvestLaneLaura
Facebook:  Harvest Lane Cottage  
Email:  laura@harvestlanecottage.com
Paypal: lauraofharvestlane@gmail.com
Address available by email

If you make any purchase on Amazon after clicking a product link or my button in the sidebar within 24 hours, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you!









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor