Sunday, August 13, 2023

Thrifty Things Lately August 13, 2023


Hello everyone!

 Just a quick post to share my thrifty things lately. I hope sparks an  idea for something thrifty that you can do.

  • I've been checking Facebook Marketplace for months in search of the right king size bed frame and a baby bed. No luck yet, but I'll keep searching. 
  • Lots of zucchini from the garden. I've made zucchini cake and zucchini bread. I'm looking for a new cake recipe. If you know of a good one, will you please share it with us? 
  • I'm still listening to the Bible for free on Bible.com. I'm almost ready for John. I'm trying the 3 month whole Bible plan. I can link it if anyone wants to know which one I'm using.
  • We're eating a few cherry tomatoes and cucumbers from the garden. Believe it or not, the big tomatoes are just beginning to ripen! I've had to buy tomatoes from the farmers' market.
  • My husband liked his electric lawn mower so much, he bought an electric weed eater for $35 on Facebook Marketplace. He really likes the way it performs.
  • I'm still using the free version of the Knit Companion app for my knitting patterns. It's easy to keep track of where I am and to keep my patterns in my phone.
  • I've been making socks using gifts I've received. You can see them on Ravelry  (HarvestLaneLaura) or  Instagram  @lauraofharvestlane.
  • I've been borrowing books from our library's interlibrary loan program for free.
  • I've been using my Scribd app to listen to books. I can listen to as many books as I'd like for just one low monthly fee. Details below. My favorite book this summer has been Nightfall in the Garden of Deep Time by Tracy Higley. Deliciously mysterious but clean!
  • I keep track of the books I read and listen to on the free Goodreads app. It also works on my computer.  I've read 40 of my 51 book goal so far this year. I've read and recorded 832 books since I started using Goodreads. 
  • I'm hand quilting a top that my husband's grandmother made. This saves a memory of her, though she still lives, and also saves the cost of having it machine quilted.
  • My husband planted only seeds that he had on hand for his fall garden.
  • Instead of buying a spray bottle to water the seeds, he punched holes in the lid of a used water bottle to sprinkle the seeds. 
  • My dad bought me dinner with a gift card he was given. When we received our food, the restaurant gave us coupons for two free meals since we had to wait awhile. We were talking and hadn't even noticed. What a blessing!
  • Dad gave me a floor lamp to put by my chair. It will be useful with my knitting, cross-stitching, and reading.
  • I purchased ingredients that can be used in more than one recipe. 
  • We helped our daughter and her husband move to a house. They needed to have more room to welcome baby. The four of us, Amy, her husband, her close friend, my Lowell and I did it. They avoided the movie costs and only paid for a small moving truck. We filled it up and filled our four cars up, too.
  • I bought a stroller on Amazon for $30 less than what Walmart had it listed. 
  • I bought four like-new dress shirts for my husband at Salvation Army thrift store. They were just $4.00 each.
  • I listened to a few books on my Scribd* app. 


Well, that's all for now. I'll start a new list right away. It motivates me to get things done! 
Have a great week!


*I signed up for a free trial of Scribd in February 2019. It's an app where you can read or listen to books for just $11.99 a month with no limit.  

I kept the plan, because we really use it and like it a lot. We especially like the extensive list of audio books. Take a look. If you sign up from this link, you can get a two free months trial, and I'll get one month free, too.

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new grandson! I don't know if you have a local Facebook free page? We have one where I live and that's where I always post things to we've outgrown - someone just picked up my son's old Pottery Barn trundle bed for their little boy! I am always happy to bless someone and they are always so glad to receive it. Another option for your bed frame if you have one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great list! I have bought and sold a whole passel of things since we moved back to Nebraska two springs ago. It's a great way to be thrifty.
    Have you held the new little one yet? I can't wait to see a photo if you're allowed to share. :-) There is nothing like a grandchild.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a great list! That motivates me to do the same :) Have a wonderful week, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you are keeping on track. Again, welcome to the new baby.
    Blessings to all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a pretty good list! Can't remember if I said Congrats on new Grandmahood (see I made up a word just for you) 😍

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is great when you start to keep track of all the things you have done to save money! I need to do that, it definitely feels good to do it! Congratulations on the new little one arriving, that is so exciting! Hoping you find all the things on Marketplace that you are looking for. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Laura! I have had you on my mind and stopped by this morning. I had so much to catch up on! Congratulations to you on becoming a grandma! I didn't even realize Amy had gotten married—that's how far behind I am. LOL! May God bless all of you and keep you in His care. I am still not getting your blog posts, along with so many others. I have tried resubscribing, but it won't allow me to. I miss keeping in touch. I hope you are feeling well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor