Friday, January 22, 2021

Thrifty Things Lately at Harvest Lane Cottage #158

Jon Sailor Pixabay

Dear friends,

 I must say, this has been a sad week for our country. I continue to pray, and I do hope you will as well. God is still good, and God is still God. I've been in the mood to clear things out a bit this week. I really haven't done much that's thrifty other than getting stuff out of our house. Sometimes, that's enough. I am thinking about things we can do to tighten up things a bit around here. I didn't make a lot of money at my part-time job, but it was regular cash flow. ~smile~ After my surgery, the doctor just didn't need me anymore. Oh well. I am needed at home for sure! 

Here's how I've been thrifty lately:

Thrifty Woman's Real Estate Investment

  1. 5 cubic feet of sheets given away
  2. 2 blankets given away
  3. Approximately 18 cubic feet of donations and trash removed from house

~ I've been cooking with zucchini that I froze last summer from the garden.

~ I made soup with leftover chicken and broth, half a bag of mixed frozen veggies, a few peeled and chopped potatoes, salt, pepper, and rosemary. You can find my Rosemary Chicken Soup recipe here

~ I used a little sweater shaver to remove the pills from a couple of t-shirts to get another season out of them.

~ We're still driving our 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis car.

~ Our luxury car is a 2005 Buick. 

~ We try to keep the thermostat low to keep the gas bill down.

~ I've been making cappucino drinks at home instead of picking one up when I'm at the gas station.

~ I saved money by using Scribd. I'm not an affiliate, I'm just sharing a great product.

So, there's not a lot on my list, but every bit helps. I plan to continue reducing the amount of stuff around here. It's stuffed all over, especially the garage. Slow and steady will get it done.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

Blessings,

Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage


9 comments:

  1. It is a sad week for our country. Our faith is what we cling to

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sherri. You are so right. I continue to pray for truth and justice to be served. May God's perfect will be done here as it is in Heaven.Hug!

      Delete
  2. Every little things adds up and makes a difference. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure what’s in your garage, but perhaps some of your decluttering can bring in a little extra $ via Craigslist or online yardsale etc 💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of it probably can. First I have to figure out what all's there!

      Delete
  4. Even though we live in a different country my husband follows American news every day as it trickles down and affects the rest of the world. We were very sad with the election results and have prayed for you all. On other matters - I love this post Laura :) trying to be frugal is right up my ally and living simply is almost a lost art in this day and age. Tonight it's courgette fritters for dinner as that's what the gardens producing. I need to get better with the garden and more canning. I may also be facing a reduction in income this year (I get paid with the work I do helping my daughter), so it causes me to have to be more financially 'creative' :) We only have one vehicle now (as part of downsizing costs), so I have to plan very well what I'm going to do on a day I might have the car. Thanks for sharing this simple practical posts. It makes me not feel so alone with financial challenges (hugs) ~ Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Linda dear, you're welcome. What's happened here is indeed tragic. I keep praying that justice will be done. But God can work in any circumstances. I froze shredded zucchini for bread and cakes last summer. I have found it very watery, but I've used it anyway. It still works. Enjoy the fruits of your labor dear.Hugs,Laura

      Delete
  5. I love that you keep track of how many cubic feet of stuff you've gotten rid of! It is so refreshing to clear things out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed! I have things in my garage that didn't get unpacked after a year and a half! Some of it definitely needs to go.
      Be blessed!
      Laura

      Delete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor